FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2014 6:49 PM  #1

Disc break conversion

So after reading more today about the whole drum to disc conversion thing, I am sold and convinced I will do this as one of the first things. I am wondering about some wheels I have that came with the car, I believe they are rims off a newer GT mustang, I know as of now two fit on the rear with a spacer and they are on now, I tried to put the fronts first without a spacer and they would not bolt up and hit the steering knuckle, then I tried a spacer and they still were on the steering knuckle and the studs were not long enough. I am wondering how much the dimensions will change with the 12.5 or 13 in rotors, will I be able to put these wheels on then? They are 17 inch wheels, I am not sure of the back spacing.

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

4/10/2014 7:30 PM  #2

Re: Disc break conversion

Get a straight edge and a ruler or a tape measure lay the straight edge on the rim back side then use the tape and measure from the bolt flange to the straight edge and there's the back space.

4/10/2014 8:52 PM  #3

The disc brakes will NOT change the position of the wheels.  If they do not fit now, they will NOT fit after the GT brakes are installed.

There are lots of wheels available now with the correct backspacing.  When I first put my Cobra brakes on my car, it was either use a 1" spacer and let the tires rub, or narrow the wheels by removing part of the rim on the back side so they would bolt up.  I chose the latter.  That was expensive, and now you can buy a couple of new wheels that actually fit for what it cost to narrow two of them.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/11/2014 9:22 AM  #4

Ok thanks guys, makes sense, I will measure the backspace when I get home, not sure that it will change anything but I will know where I stand at least and know where I want to go from there. I do know however I dont really feel like  I want to spend a bunch of money on wheel/tires since these are in good shape right now, my focus is more on getting things on the road.

Also Steve, you said you could have used a 1"spacer in leiu of "trimming" the backs of the rims, is there and disadvantage using spacing, could it weeaken the integrity of the mounting of the tire? Is there a maximum amount one could space a tire out?  Also, I would think if you spaced the front tires out, I would have to lengthen the tire studs to be able to fit, again is there any rule for maximum stud length? As I typed that it kind out came out sounding stupid, but oh well, just again resourcing options here.
Thanks

4/11/2014 10:08 AM  #5

Wheel spacers bolt to your existing wheel studs, then they have their own set of studs to mount the wheels.  As long as they are high quality, installed correctly and properly torqued, they seem to work fine.  The problem is you have an 8" wide wheel and moving it out 1.25" gets the tire into the sheetmetal.

If the tires you have are off a 05 or newer Mustang, they are going to be too tall to fit the car.  You can make the wheels fit with smaller tires.

There is a company on ebay selling wheel spacers and they had them on sale for $38 a pair the other day.

4/11/2014 11:21 AM  #6

Those look pretty nice, and substantial. I have spacers that just "slide" over the studs and are held in place by the rim being bolted on, and are maybe 1/4 -1/2 inch.

I am trying to recall the tires sizes, I know for a fact because I just looked the other day that the rear tires are bigger than the front, I believe the tires on the back are 240  75  r17 (  the same size as my audi) and the front rubber is 220 40 r17, but I am not exactly sure, I am positive they are smaller just dont recall the exact size.

I will have to install the brakes and see if I can make them work, but I would like to know definitively before I get there if it will work or not.

4/17/2014 10:28 AM  #7

OK, back to this again. I justt looked at the wheels that were given to me with the car, and the front tires  are the same- 235/45/ R17 93 w. The rear tire on the rear are differant sizes one 255 the other is 235, so I am all across the board here.
  I looked at the rim size and they are indeed 17X8, so might be too big? I also checked the backspace by measuring as stated below, they appear to be 5 3/4, does this sound right? If so, how much of a spacer would I need?
I do have a set of 235/45/ R 17 off my Audi that should fit  on these rims, Musang Steve, would  this size work>?

4/17/2014 9:01 PM  #8

Those sound like 17x8 with 5.72" backspacing, same as mine from 01-04 Mustang.  A 1" spacer like the ones pictured will get them mounted, but you can expect some fender rub unless your car sits real high.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.