FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2014 8:34 AM  #1

Sticky ignition switch, 66 coupe

Hey Guys/Gals, putting the painless wiring back in the car (not painless), and the ignition switch , which is hanging under the dash while I reroute and install the harness is sticky...sometimes hard to go from run to off. The switch looks to be new from po. any quick fixes or just buy a new switch? Will installing it in the dash make any diff? If I gotta buy a new one, which brand /vendor should I be looking for so this is the last switch I need to put in this car? Also, there is one extra terminal with nothing on it next to the yellow 12 volt input to the switch...can't bug it to any of the other contacts or the switch body? idea of what its supposed to go to? As always, thanks for the help.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

4/10/2014 9:16 AM  #2

Re: Sticky ignition switch, 66 coupe

Have you tried removing the lock cylinder and adding some light grease to the bottom of the hole where the rotation action takes place?  Might just be a burr or something, or just dry potmetal.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/10/2014 9:41 AM  #3

Good idea, hadn't really looked at the inner mechanism, but have had the cylinder in and out a couple times.

4/10/2014 1:13 PM  #4

Those ignitions are kinda known for that problem
Try ms suggestion or I know some try a lil wd 40 on the key it self and then slide it in and see if it helps for it not to stick

4/17/2014 9:31 PM  #5

K Guys, switch does have grease inside, no burs. I really need to replace it...any recomendations for what brand/where to buy areally good replacement? or is it a crap shoot? I'm thinking maybe motorcraft better thabn Scott Drake or Ebay....?

Last edited by mainiac1 (4/17/2014 10:24 PM)

4/18/2014 5:24 AM  #6

No sure as to which company you should buy your switch from but you'll want to buy the door cylinders to so you don't have three keys ignition trunk and door

4/18/2014 8:51 AM  #7

Main1, try cycling the switch using large screwdriver to determine if switch or tumbler is problem.
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (4/18/2014 8:51 AM)

4/18/2014 5:48 PM  #8

When I bought mine I got it from Advance Auto Parts and only bought the switch. Installed my lock cylinder in it and was good to go. Works great after 2 years.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/18/2014 9:35 PM  #9

Played around w it, put a little white grease around the detent pin and reassembled seems to be working ok now.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.