FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2014 8:37 PM  #1

Wipers

Hi guys. Having trouble with my wipers returning to their original position. Anyone know what's causing this? They stop about half way down through their cycle.

All throttle no bottle

4/19/2014 9:28 PM  #2

Re: Wipers

what year is you car?

4/20/2014 12:43 AM  #3

Check all wiring connections. If good, likely problem is inside the wiper motor. There are 2 power circuits, one to operate wipers and one to park wipers. If you bang on the motor with key on and the wipers park, that verifies it. My '66 does the same thing. I assume there are contacts in the motor that can be cleaned.

4/20/2014 6:41 AM  #4

Found this video with a search - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMRDNpNzFc  I haven't been into mine but I think Whlnut is on the right track.  Include "park" in google searches on Mustang wiper motors and you'll find a lot of links - a few that actually seem helpful.

4/20/2014 7:03 AM  #5

It's a '66. Thanks guys. I'll do some investigative work.

All throttle no bottle

4/20/2014 8:40 AM  #6

There is a green wire that comes off the wiper switch that is hot (12 volt) when the wipers are turned off. You can test for this with a test light if it is not hot with wipers off switch can be bad. That wire goes to the wiper motor and to the park contact as mentioned above. After park switch back out of the starter on another green wire. This wire should be hot with wiper switch off and the wipers NOT in the park position. If not the park switch may be bad. There is a good write up on Mustang Monthly web on taking apart these wiper motors.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/20/2014 8:59 AM  #7

Just went through the same thing.  thinking the motor was bad.  After taking the motor out and bench testing found the motor was not the problem.  Switch was bad.  I would recommend replacing the switch if all the wires ohm out correctly before pulling the motor.  Pulling the motor and assembly bracket was a challenge at my age.  If you are young and limber it might not be so bad.  I would only pull the motor after checking everything else.  the switch should have a 2 wire 12 volt circuit and a 2 wire low voltage circuit.  The low voltage is what parks the wipers.  I am referring to a single speed motor.  2 speed is more complicated;but, the same principal.  On the single speed you pull switch knob to provide power to the washer pump.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

4/20/2014 9:22 AM  #8

almcgee is correct my descreption is for a 2 speed motor. On a single speed motor the park switch supplies a ground to the motor to park it. Which do you have?

Last edited by wsinsle (4/20/2014 4:16 PM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.