FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2014 2:38 PM  #1

Got back from my road trip to OK and boyyyyyy! what a trip!!!!!!!!....

Left  Charleston,SC and drove "the-old-hot-rod" to Tulsa,OK with one stop over in  "Hotlanta,Ga.
Anybody ever have a strut rod nut-washer-and rubber biscuit come off while driving? More important-ly....while attempting to change lanes on a 6-lane interstate highway? WHAT A RIDE!!! Just glad traffic was very light. I hit a bump(WHAT! O.K. has bumpy roads?!!) and was launched across 3 lanes to nearly the emergency lane...in a heart beat!!
All the alignment shims fell out so the camber/caster settings were screwed. The toe was toast too.
Of course,once I made it to Tulsa,all the parts had to be special ordered so the car sat at POOP Boyz  5 days. I also needed a centerlink...an idler arm...and a pitman arm..(according to POOP Boyz)
While the car sat... my son and I went sailing on his new sailboat......went to see relatives....and missed the ENTIRE Mustang O.K. event...completely! Never even made it to Mustang,O.K.!
Its albsolutely AMAZING how much better my 66 drives after the parts replacement and FINALLY getting a decent alignment. I just THOUGHT I needed a new steering box!
Trust me..........use Pep Boys ONLY as a last resort. Not only did thet try to jack me around on the cost of alignment........it sucked so bad AFTER they finished......the two front tire were almost scrubbed bald!!(in less than 100 miles)
They rate right-up-there around MasterCrap that MS is soooo fond of.
Maybe I'll tell the "hole story" at the MSBB??(If anybody gives-a-rip)
SUPER trip including the shoddy work POOP Boyz does(and I work for them here,so I should know.)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/18/2014 3:50 PM  #2

Re: Got back from my road trip to OK and boyyyyyy! what a trip!!!!!!!!....

Wow....that 6 lane around/through Atlanta is bad enough just dealing with the crazies doing 90 mph out there without having a suspension breakage issue. Your lucky you made it through unscathed. How much brown stuff you have to clean up off the seat

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

4/18/2014 9:59 PM  #3

Glad to hear you made it out in one piece Sal. Taking a ride with no steering has to be one hairball experience you only want to do once. You didn't have those red polyurethane bushings installed in your strut rods by any chance did you? I have always heard those are real bad on strut rods. especially on the 67's front struts.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

4/18/2014 10:53 PM  #4

Sal I feel your pain. I was driving to work this winter and spun my car around 1 and 1/2 times on ice. The funny part is I have this crooked finger I broke playing soft ball when I was young. While trying to regain control and spinning the wheel back and forth, that finger turned off the lights. When I got stopped, I was sitting backwards on a 4 lane road with the lights off. Luckly it was 5 AM and no traffic. Sal glad it worked out. The best part is it doesn't sound like you let it take away time with your son, THATS WHAT COUNTS.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/19/2014 5:50 AM  #5

Holy Cow!  I'm really glad you (and your hot rod) came out of that in a condition to tell the story. 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/19/2014 11:18 AM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

.... ever have a strut rod nut-washer-and rubber biscuit come off while driving?
6s6

Did that stuff come adrift (throwed Ya a sailing word in there) cos yer nutz fell off?? Or cos the strut rod broke due to polyurethane bushing use??
Glad Ya got to go sailing, after the driving adventure.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/19/2014 12:29 PM  #7

I think we need to come up with a PRE-TRIP CHECK LIST and be sure ol' Sal gets a copy !!!!

Glad you were not injured, 6sally6.  It's probably better that you got to spend time with your family rather than hanging around with a bunch of late model Mustang anyways.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/19/2014 1:53 PM  #8

Me too are very happy that you and "Ol' Betsy" wern't damaged.  I like having you around to hep me figger out how to to fix my rear end.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/20/2014 6:12 PM  #9

I remembered I had some nuts the same size as on the strut rods. Double nutted mine, cause I don't think I would like sailing across traffic.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

4/20/2014 9:59 PM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

Me too are very happy that you and "Ol' Betsy" wern't damaged.  I like having you around to hep me figger out how to to fix my rear end.

BB

Good news was..............on that "talbe-top flat" state of Arkansas...using my cruise control...@ 68mph...I averaged 20(almost 21) mpg!! Not bad for a cammed-up old hot-rod!!!!!
sweeeet,huh?!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/21/2014 9:53 AM  #11

I'm glad you're ok Sal... sounds like you had quite an adventure.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.