FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2014 12:25 PM  #1

Data from the fiberglass rear leaf spring experiment

I think I have all the data I need now.

Really nice ride due to less unsprung weight.
Only a little over double the cost of steel springs.
One minor detail after using them for about 400 miles.  Passenger side broke in half  between the front eye and the axle as I was going down the freeway.  Luckily it stayed somewhat still intact so I was able to get the car back in line without crashing.

Guys, I really liked these springs, and I really wanted it to work out, but I do not think I will be taking THAT risk over again.

Now, who has springs that help control wheel hop with a high HP engine?  And with the proper ride height.  Old favorite is the 4 leaf reverese eye from M+.  Anyone have recommendations?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/19/2014 12:30 PM  #2

Re: Data from the fiberglass rear leaf spring experiment

At least it didn't puncture your tire. Between the rear of yours and the front of Sally's, it sounds like one of those weeks.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

4/19/2014 12:34 PM  #3

Steve
Go to Eaton Springs.......google it .....then, call them monday and provide them all the spec's of your car.
Let em build you the correct springs for your application.....and peace of mind..

4/19/2014 1:13 PM  #4

Wonderful, just wonderful.

4/19/2014 1:37 PM  #5

Man, you lucked out.  That could have ment another trip to Master Crap.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/19/2014 2:10 PM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

One minor detail after using them for about 400 miles.  Passenger side broke in half  between the front eye and the axle as I was going down the freeway.  Luckily it stayed somewhat still intact so I was able to get the car back in line without crashing.

Was there more to the sentence; as I was going down the freeway, putting the 427 to the floor to pass a Chevy.

Glad the car came out unscaved.

Oh, and you too Steve!

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/19/2014 2:29 PM  #7

Wow Glad you and the car are at least in one peice. I'd call the guy that makes them and see what he says, perhaps ah replacment or refund? And don't forget to remind him you have a popular web site forum. As to where it broke, it's abviously from axle rap perhaps ah set of traction bars are in order..

It's hard to type "funny"

4/19/2014 2:51 PM  #8

Shucks MS I already done that, was because my "U" bolt nuts were bottomed out on the threrads and not clamping the springs tight enough. In other words installed incorrectly.
Alex at Money Maker Racing sells the Flex-a-forms and has used the same pair of fiberglass monoleafs on his drag Mustang for over 11 years.

Before you get rid of the springs forever, check back with the Mfgr. See what they'll do. Some lame excuse or back their product up(as they did with me) Find out how/why your specific pair springs fractured. Untill Ya do that there is insufficent data.

There are at least 2k miles on my set. Which admitedly ain't all that much. Tis however 5x as much as you accumulated. I just double checked mine, No issues. The 331 may not be as stout as your 427. Butt I GayRonT, loopin Miss May down Texas back roads stressed mine like yours havent been.
Dang it I do hate seeing you have a busted one. BTW what does the other one look like??

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/19/2014 3:00 PM  #9

Yikes!  That coulda been bad.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

4/19/2014 4:00 PM  #10

The set of Flex-a-form springs I bought are clearly labeled "For Racing Only". That might impact the warranty when used on the street. On the plus side, each set is individually made for the application. So, they knew the HP and Torque that MS's car was going to put on them.

4/19/2014 4:33 PM  #11

Yeah, when I ordered them, I told the guy I wanted a set "just like Corky's" and he knew exactly what I wanted.  A set that would crack in half.

Warranty or no warranty, there is no way in hell a set of those is going back on my car.  Too dangerous if something happens again.

4/19/2014 5:41 PM  #12

MustangSteve wrote:

..................."just like Corky's" and he knew exactly what I wanted.  A set that would crack in half..................

Part of that is what I want to know from the Factory. Mine did not break in two like yours did. Mine fractured in a spiral pattern, though not into two pieces.
There may be a greater safety hazzard, than just MustangSteve not trusting them his car. That is why I'm asking what the factory has to say about your incident,  Not wheather or not MustangSteve ever uses a set on his car again. When my origional F-a-f springs fractured it happened to both sides, What does your other spring look like??

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/19/2014 6:33 PM  #13

Whoa big fella, whoa! Glad to see that you survived the catastrophic failure of your spring. Must have "exceeded designed structural limitations". I would document this and immediately notify the manufacturer. There may be others out there that got spring sets from the same run. Maybe bad resin, bad fiberglas or improper curing process. Were they outsourced to a "third vendor" -  in a foreign country? If it happened to you, it might happen to someone else with more dire consequences. Regardless, glad to see you and the 66 are okay.
Sorry, but springs not made of steel, to me, seem destined to fail.

Last edited by Ron68 (4/19/2014 6:34 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/19/2014 7:33 PM  #14

Hornman wrote:

Yeah, Ron...  Hope you have better luck !!!  I bet if you leave the 289 in there, you won't have any problems.  With my engine, I am constantly going to be finding the weak link in the system.

4/19/2014 7:37 PM  #15

I did collect all my receipts and sent a polite email to the manufacturer today.  We'll see what they have to say when they get back to work next week.

On an other note, CJ Pony finally agreed to take back the Scott Drake progressive front springs that were obviously NOT for a 65/66.  So, all I am out is shipping cost TO and FROM the guy I sold them to before we figured out they were wrong.  Its amazing they contacted me right after I sent the link to the forum discussion on their customer service.  I guess you can call me a happy CJPony customer again.

4/19/2014 8:05 PM  #16

MustangSteve wrote:

Hornman wrote:

Yeah, Ron...  Hope you have better luck !!!  I bet if you leave the 289 in there, you won't have any problems.  With my engine, I am constantly going to be finding the weak link in the system.

There may be a possibility that I won't stress the springs unnecessarily. I am building a cruiser and I know that 225 HP will be enough for that.

4/19/2014 8:05 PM  #17

MustangSteve wrote:

I did collect all my receipts and sent a polite email to the manufacturer today.  We'll see what they have to say when they get back to work next week.

On an other note, CJ Pony finally agreed to take back the Scott Drake progressive front springs that were obviously NOT for a 65/66.  So, all I am out is shipping cost TO and FROM the guy I sold them to before we figured out they were wrong.  Its amazing they contacted me right after I sent the link to the forum discussion on their customer service.  I guess you can call me a happy CJPony customer again.

See not only does this forum provide invaluable information ,but it gives us the power to right wrongs..

It's hard to type "funny"

4/19/2014 8:45 PM  #18

well it didn't help with my  heddman headers!!!! they are still rusty pieces of CRAP!! 

Steve would you call them for me???

Last edited by terry (4/19/2014 8:46 PM)

4/20/2014 9:48 AM  #19

My grab a track 4.5 mid eye eliminated wheel hop completely,  but its now got bad axle wrap..not sure if its possible to eliminate both without caltracs or the sort?

4/20/2014 5:11 PM  #20

MustangSteve wrote:

I think I have all the data I need now.

Really nice ride due to less unsprung weight.
Only a little over double the cost of steel springs.

Guys, I really liked these springs, and I really wanted it to work out, but I do not think I will be taking THAT risk over again.

Now, who has springs that help control wheel hop with a high HP engine?  And with the proper ride height.  Old favorite is the 4 leaf reverese eye from M+.  Anyone have recommendations?

Id bet some JB weld would hold it together...LOL

4/20/2014 8:58 PM  #21

MustangSteve wrote:

Warranty or no warranty, there is no way in hell a set of those is going back on my car.  Too dangerous if something happens again.

Like "THEY SAY"..........if your not living on the edge..........you're taking up too much space!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/21/2014 1:13 PM  #22

Mark Neilson at Flex Form emailed me back promptly when they opened this morning.  He said they would make me a new spring with more reinforcement in the area where mine broke.  I asked him if that meant a PAIR of matching springs because I sure don't want two different rates back there.  No response yet.  The bad part is they need their typical lead time to get some more springs made for me.
The first set took 6 weeks to be delivered.  As this is the best time of the year to be attending shows, there is no way I can wait that long. 
Sooo... it looks like I will be getting a pair of replacement springs (I hope it is a pair) with no car to put them on because mine will be fixed with some steel springs long before then.

4/21/2014 1:38 PM  #23

WOW!!!  That's scary stuff... glad you're ok.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.