FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2014 5:29 PM  #1

64-66 Adjustable Upper Control Arms

Thinking about buying the TCP adjustable upper control arms to make front end alignment easier. Does anybody besides TCP make these type of control arms? If they are the only seller of these does that mean it's a bad idea? Anybody have these arms?

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

4/20/2014 6:28 PM  #2

Re: 64-66 Adjustable Upper Control Arms

A camber kit for the LCA's and adjustable strut rods can probably get you there cheaper and accomplish nearly the same thing in terms of adjustability.  How often do you feel that you will need to realign the car and who is doing the alignments?  Rebuilding the upper control arms and shifting the arms back 1/8" also helps with caster and can eliminate a few more shims.  If the rest of your suspension is stock, the adjustable upper control arms are probably overkill - unless you really really want them.

4/20/2014 6:43 PM  #3

I never noticed untill this post that (total control) was the only company making adjustable upper control arms? And the only reason I can think of that no one else does is, why bother? It ony takes ah second to losen the bolts and add ah shim. Big, overly complex solution, to ah simple problem. As Gary said I'd save your $$$ and buy a complete kit were all the parts work together..

It's hard to type "funny"

4/20/2014 7:54 PM  #4

Old MustangSteve saying:
Anything adjustable will require adjustment.

Those arms may be great but I have concerns about the adjustable joints in them. Other manufacturers tout how stiff their tubular control arms are. If that is the goal, why put a joint in the middle of the control arm?  Haven't tried them, so no data to make any real judgement. I installed Global West uca on my 66 and cannot tell any difference from the stockers.  Not a race car, like 99.9% of the Mustangs out there.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/21/2014 10:28 AM  #5

Derek wrote:

I never noticed untill this post that (total control) was the only company making adjustable upper control arms? And the only reason I can think of that no one else does is, why bother? It ony takes ah second to losen the bolts and add ah shim. Big, overly complex solution, to ah simple problem. As Gary said I'd save your $$$ and buy a complete kit were all the parts work together..

Street or Track makes a really nice set http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Tubular-Upper-Roller-Control-Arms-pr-24440.html I don't have a set but I've talked to Shaun a few times at Carlisle and online. Super helpful and willing to answer any questions. If I were to build my own (which I am..) I'd design them similar. I'm not a fan of the barrel adjusters on TCP's upper arms.

Last edited by tweet66 (4/21/2014 10:29 AM)

4/21/2014 7:34 PM  #6

I was thinking that when I do my next alignment myself it would be easier. I am not 100% sure that changing the length of the arm is a good idea and/or what it will mess up. I do have adjustable strut rods but they did not seem to help that much in my alignment. I'll probably investigate the lower control arm camber kit and see if that will help make my alignment easier.

Thanks for your inputs.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

4/21/2014 9:23 PM  #7

MustangSteve wrote:

Old MustangSteve saying:

Those arms may be great but I have concerns about the adjustable joints in them. Other manufacturers tout how stiff their tubular control arms are. If that is the goal, why put a joint in the middle of the control arm? Haven't tried them, so no data to make any real judgement. I installed Global West uca on my 66 and cannot tell any difference from the stockers. Not a race car, like 99.9% of the Mustangs out there.

I've had the TCP UCA's on mine for over a decade with no problems.  I am quite happy with them.   My alignment guy likes them a lot.  Much easier to make adjustments than with shims.  And the alignment has not changed at all afterwards - The last one was done maybe 6 years ago.  And way long time ago with the stockers and lots more driving, I had to realign maybe every 2 years.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/21/2014 9:31 PM  #8

MustangSteve wrote:

Old MustangSteve saying:

Those arms may be great but I have concerns about the adjustable joints in them. Other manufacturers tout how stiff their tubular control arms are. If that is the goal, why put a joint in the middle of the control arm? Haven't tried them, so no data to make any real judgement. I installed Global West uca on my 66 and cannot tell any difference from the stockers. Not a race car, like 99.9% of the Mustangs out there.

I've had the TCP UCA's on mine for over a decade with no problems.  I am quite happy with them.   My alignment guy likes them a lot.  Much easier to make adjustments than with shims.  And the alignment has not changed at all afterwards - The last one was done maybe 6 years ago.  And way long time ago with the stockers and lots more driving, I had to realign maybe every 2 years.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.