FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2014 8:34 PM  #1

hood to cowl seal

anyone have a good tip on installing the hood to cowl seal on a '65 without breaking the metal clips in the seal?  I tried to install the seal the way the instructions told me;  "put a block of wood directly behind the metal clip and strike the wood with a small hammer".  I ditd that and ended up breaking the leg off the clip.  Sounds like it should work, but it didn't.  any help?  Thanks 

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

4/12/2014 9:37 PM  #2

Re: hood to cowl seal

Please let me know too, I have broken the clips on three different ones now and have put this off fir fear of breaking another. It's a Daniel Carpenter part too.

4/13/2014 11:19 AM  #3

I always just push it in by hand and have never had an issue.  Some seals come with the clips already attached to the rubber. That is the only way to go.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2014 8:50 PM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

I always just push it in by hand and have never had an issue.  Some seals come with the clips already attached to the rubber. That is the only way to go.

The seal I had the problem with was a Dennis Carpender part also and the clips were attached to the seal, but the clip still broke.  I also tried to push them in by hand, but no luck.  Do you think it would work to try and get needle nose pliers in behind the seal and compress the clips?  Thanks

4/14/2014 6:25 AM  #5

I like the idea of the pliers. Seems the tab that goes into the rubber breaks first...

4/14/2014 8:51 AM  #6

Are they using to big a clip for the size hole it was intended for. If I remember correctly (thats asking alot) mine poped in fairly easy. I think I use 3M seal glue, the clips just helped hold it until the glue dried.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/14/2014 4:29 PM  #7

wsinsle wrote:

Are they using to big a clip for the size hole it was intended for. If I remember correctly (thats asking alot) mine poped in fairly easy. I think I use 3M seal glue, the clips just helped hold it until the glue dried.

I don't think the legs on the clips are too big.  The slot the clips go into are a good 1/2 in long and the legs of the clips are anly 1/8" wide.  The legs are in a "V" shape that are supposed to push together when you force them into the slots.  I just think the "V" is either to wide or the metal is to hard and breaks when drove into the slots.  I called Mustangs Unlimited, where I bought the seal, today, but we have been playing phone tag.

4/14/2014 8:21 PM  #8

Get the clips fairly lined up with the whole use a screw driver handle and tap it in worked great for me. That or if you have a rubber mallet tap on them with that should work great. I had a cj pony cowl seal I believe

4/22/2014 5:09 PM  #9

MWM wrote:

Please let me know too, I have broken the clips on three different ones now and have put this off fir fear of breaking another. It's a Daniel Carpenter part too.

I sent an email to Danial Carpenter and got a nice response from a lady, Lisa Banks.  She stated they were pulling those parts off the shelf, so they must have had other reports of problems.  Anyway, she told me to contact Mustangs Unlimited, where I bought it and ask for a refund.  She told me to mention that I had cooresponded with her and she would honor the refund.  Her phone is 704-786-0990 if you are interested in refund for yours.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.