FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2014 2:08 PM  #1

TKO 600 in a 1965 Mustang

I have a 1965 mustang and wanting to install a TKO 600 in it.  Is there any way I can do that without cutting the center consul? Thanks in advance Bill Moore918-695-8279

4/25/2014 3:40 PM  #2

Re: TKO 600 in a 1965 Mustang

I had to make several cuts and add some metal to keep the the engine angle correct and the oil pan off of the ground. It wasn't too bad but I did a lot of sketches and figured where to cut and add without cutting the whole thing apart. A lot of folks take the whole tunnel and raise it. Mine is snug, but no rattles. MS did quite a good job with his and can probably provide pics. I am not much of a shutter bug.

4/25/2014 5:52 PM  #3

I'm sitting in Tulsa airport right now trying to get home - if Tulsadrags has anything to do with where you live.  I did the whole tunnel raise to preserve the correct driveline angle angle but my car was in pieces anyway so I wasn't worried about carpet, etc.  Ideally you would raise the tunnel and move tunnel support back as things get tight otherwise.  Some use dropped engine mounts to gain back the one inch in back but even then the fit can be tight.  The T5 fits and is very strong if built right soTKO and you can weigh the required mods versus a near bolt-in.  I had the TKO from a "deal" so I was kind of stuck with the work.  Be wary of any "bolt-in" crossmembers that are advertised as they may fit but the engine/transmission may end up at a 4 or 5 degree angle (or more) and then you are fighting driveshaft and rear end angles.  If you make a few more posts, you can send me an message with your email and I will send you pictures of my mods.  There are a few good pictures and stories if you google "TKO in 66 Mustang".

4/25/2014 10:11 PM  #4

I found it easiest to replace both front floorpans because it gave me additional vertical sections beside the hump.  I cut out the hump, installed the tranny at best angle, the made a cover out of slightly thicker material than the original. (.055" instead of 0.050" thick).  One thing I did different was to make the shifter hole where you can get wrenches on the shifter bolts from the passenger side without having to pull the tranny.  See pics.  Will be glad to answer any questions.  Pics are of my 66 with TKO600.  The crossmember is for a 67, and I sectioned it into over thirty pieces to get it to the shape I wanted it to be. Pic shows final configuration right before I welded the top back together.  You have to remove the original.  It is just in the wrong place and is too thick.

This one shows the shifter part of the tunnel cut out and repositioned.  I had an extra one cut out from another car.  Alot easier to refit that way since it was cut out larger than the original removed hump.  It is angled upward more than the original.

Fox Mustang shifter lower boot was used.  Note how I bent the side to follow the new opening on the side of the hump, necessary for wrench access from the passenger side.

Frankenmember custom crossmember

I revised the h-pipe after this was taken.  Did not drag, but I do not like being able to see any pipes from the side of the car.

Note the attachment nuts for the lower shifter boot are welded to the bottom of the hump so you can bolt it in from the top without having to hold a nut underneath.

Install the exhaust system first because you are going to have to build the car around it.  Everything comes out neater that way.  With the new carpet and console in place, the casual observer cannot tell anything has been changed.

Last edited by MustangSteve (4/25/2014 10:18 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.