FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2014 11:32 AM  #1

1969 Grande horn problem

A while back my horn quit working.  One day it worked, the next day it didn't. Ground wire in the column was good, but the power wire had no power.  All the fuses are good, so I pulled the steering wheel.  When I got to the turn signal/other/ rat's nest I found a dusting of copper everywhere in that cavity.  Then I noticed that the copper "bump" for the horn power (on the spring loaded contact) was completely, smoothly sheared off.  The bump on the ground contact was fine.  I guess the power line wasn't making any contact with the horn rotator thingy, because the contact in the turn signal apparatus had power.

Here are my questions:
1) Anybody else had this problem, and how did you fix it? Is there a solution short of totally replacing the turn signal harness (I've already done that once and don't want to go through that again, if possible)?
1b) I do have the old harness and one of the spring contacts (yes, the ground wire contact) for the horn is still good (the power one broke--that's why I replaced the harness), but I can't figure out how to remove it from the plastic housing without simply ripping all the  housing away. Any help?
2) Guesses as to why the power tit wore off but the ground one didn't?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.