FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2014 6:42 PM  #1

Hey Sally...d'ya think this'll work?

After all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, I got the new rear axle aligned, tacked together and ready for my friend the the welder to stick it all together.

That's 1/8" gap there Sal.  Just what you and my welder bud suggest. 

Also, the flange to flange width on the housing is exactly 51 1/8 which is what you get when you take 2.875 from the stock Exploder width of 54". 

I just received these spring perches today.  Ordered them from an off road outfit.  They are 8" long and are supposed to control spring wrap-up.  I doubt if I'll have a problelm with spring wrap but I am warming up the ol' 5.0 a bit and I might get a wild hair someday and try to do a Corky.

I'm concerned that the Mustang springs won't be happy with the excess perch length.  Any thoughts?

This is the axle tube end of the alignment jig that I whiped up.

and one of the carrier saddle pieces.

After I finished the jig I stuck it in the housing and discovered that both sides were out (down, which I thought was weird) enough that the end pieces wouldn't go in.  So I got to practice straightening axle tubes before I went any farther.

Hey Sal, that really works.

So we're moving along.  Hope to get the welding done this weekend and get it back together.  Right now I'm trying to decide on gears...3.55 or 3.27, hmmmm.  I have both plus a 3.73 and 3.08.  Too many choices.

More to follow.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/24/2014 7:19 PM  #2

Re: Hey Sally...d'ya think this'll work?

Looks great!  I would think that those long spring perches under normal conditions won't touch (or barely touch) in front and in back due to the slight arch of springs at normal ride height but they may act as advertised as a mini traction bar.  The u-bolts are still in the stock location so you still effectively locking the axle to spring where the clamping action occurs with stock perches.  I can't see that they would hurt and if they do happen to affect the ride they can easily be trimmed back to stock.

4/24/2014 7:47 PM  #3

Think about it Gary.  The axle is shown upside-down.  the springs are underslung so the long perches will be trying to take the arc out of the spring...I just don't know if that would work or be constantly working the u-bolts loose.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/24/2014 9:00 PM  #4

You're right - it's been a long day, I'm in a hotel room, and apparently thinking upside down.  So now I'm wondering at ride height how flat or arched the spring actually is at the axle/perch?  I think the anti-wrap-up cabablity/potential is work the risk - once they are welded on they will still be easy enough to trim if the results are unacceptable.  So in a typical application that these were originally developed for, would the axle be above or below the spring?  That alone may be the factor that determines if they will work on the Mustang. For an axle mounted below the spring like an F-150 (I cheated and did a google search to hopefully get this right) I think my original posting is on track.  So you maybe exploring the limits of this technology - or maybe you can develop a variant of the design that also has a radius to match the spring at ride height for applications with the axle mounted above the springs!  

4/24/2014 10:22 PM  #5

Looks pretty sweeet,BB! Now, to re-cap....you have a backing ring inside the housing....and then a piece of sched. 40 pipe inside, to hold it straight?!
The backing ring should NOT let it warp any when taking your time and maybe rotating the housing when he stops welding. (The place where you stop welding......is were the heat will be the most and want to draw the two pieces you're welding together) When he stops welding....rotate the place were he stops......to the bottom. Heat will naturally rise and so it will travel to the coolest part of the material(opposite side of where he stopped welding). IF you leave it in place.....the heat will be concentrated there on top and will soak into the base metal and try to draw together
Pipe welding 101
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/25/2014 4:40 AM  #6

Looks like you got her BB!!!

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/25/2014 6:25 AM  #7

Gary and Sal

I was thinking the same way, Gary.  Leave 'em long and trim if necessary.  If they will  go together we might learn somethinng.  If not, I'll trim back to stock perch length.  I think I'll take one with me when I go check out the car today and see how far it stands off the spring.  They would also make the spring, and the ride, stiffer...which is why they might help with spring-wrap.  I may just put a cut in the sides, past the stock length, and fold the mating surface a tad.  That would keep them from trying to pre-load the springs but might still help with wrap by moving the wrap fulcrum closer to the spring eyes.  Hummmm.  More to think about WIAIT.

Sal, regardless of the sage advice I got from my two favorite experts...you and MS...I went ahead with using the sched 40 for the ring, insert, whatever.  I split a 4" section of it lengthwise and remove a 3/4" piece to leave a trough so lube wouldn't be damed up geting to the wheel brg.  Then I squeezed it back together a bit and drove it into the axle tube.  It served as a perfect alignment tool for the end of the axle that I had cut off. 
I figure that even though its "pipe", it's still mild steel and will be plenty strong for what it's gotta do, which is just sit there, align two parts, and get itself welded to those parts to form a solid weld joint.  You both already said that I didn't need the sleeve...or ring.  So using it to align the two pieces of axle tube, and welding to it can't hurt.

RAT?

4/25/2014 6:53 AM  #8

Good idea on the connecting alignment piece! Dont know if I'd thought about oil trough slot?
I have a limited slip 8.8 waiting for the same tube shortning job. Need to talk to you about borrowing
your wonderful alignment tools when your finished?
Could the bent housing be from jacking up under the pumpkin? Have heard-read about this jacking up thing not being a good idea, but have used this jacking practice for over 60 years?
Howard

4/25/2014 7:22 AM  #9

Wow!  Nice stuff, looks just like my set up for the 8.8 work I do. I use the full floater ends though to make ratio changes easier. Your weld set up should be bullet proof I just bevel like you did and but weld without the inner back up. I beat on them real hard and have never had a problem. I just use my MIG welder mostly unless I have the TIG out. I weld a little on one side then the other to keep the heat even around the weld and most times I don't have to do any straightening afterward. If I do need to straighten, I just heat the long side of the tube a little  spot at a time and cool untill the guage tube will slide through easily be hand. Sounds like you have done that to get the thing straight to start with. I have usually started with a new Ford Motorsports unit so mine have been straight enough to start. Even the used one I just did was amazingly straight, so I think the 8.8 stuff is strong enough.

Have fun!

4/25/2014 8:18 PM  #10

hmartin025 wrote:

Good idea on the connecting alignment piece! Dont know if I'd thought about oil trough slot?
I have a limited slip 8.8 waiting for the same tube shortning job. Need to talk to you about borrowing
your wonderful alignment tools when your finished?
Could the bent housing be from jacking up under the pumpkin? Have heard-read about this jacking up thing not being a good idea, but have used this jacking practice for over 60 years?
Howard

It'll be borrowable for the price of shipping, Howard.  Give a call before you take it apart and maybe I can save you some trouble.  That is if you don't wait too long.  Remember, my memory sux worse than I remembered it did. 

DC, it's good to know that I didn't go too far astray.  Tomorrow we weld, I'll post another pic or two.
Been doing a bit of studying on setting up the 8.8 and it don't sound too difficult.  I think I'll make a "axle center to pinion" plate for getting that measurment if anyone ever needs to start from scratch on aftermarket gears.  For now I'm in good shape as I'm using gennie used Ford gears that I was able to get the  bearing-to-pinion butt measurement on before I removed the bearing.  That should make setup pretty easy...or at least easier.
How do you go about  getting the carrier preload shims in.  I've read that you should add .006 on each side after you get every thing set up right.  That sounds like a lot.  What I read says you need to drive them in... .012?, no kidding!
I've been told that Ford uses a device to actually spread the carrier saddles to insert preload shims.  How do you do it? All advice greatly appreciated.

BB

4/26/2014 2:32 PM  #11

Well, this morning my welding artist buddy did his thing.  The alignment never changed until he put on the spring perches, then it went out right at 1/8" on both sides.  Tomorrow I hope to get it straight again, clean it up and get some paint on it. 

Thanks to all for the kind words, encouragement, and knowledgable pointers and insight.

I think this is actually gonna work.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/26/2014 2:33 PM)

4/26/2014 4:24 PM  #12

Bob, on the long spring perches...  I kind of like that idea.  Where can I get a pair?

I think what is going to happen is the ends of the perches are going to put a stress line across the width of the spring every time the spring flexes.  That can make a nice place for all the spring flexing to pivot on and could theoretically cause a problem.  I think you can totally eliminate the problem by simply grinding the ends of the perches with a small radius so it does not point-load the spring leaf.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/26/2014 4:26 PM  #13

What are you going to do to realign the axle tubes if they are 1/8" off?  Use a big press or something?  Or heat and cool selected areas?
There has to be an art in doing that.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/26/2014 5:37 PM  #14

MustangSteve wrote:

Bob, on the long spring perches...  I kind of like that idea.  Where can I get a pair?

I think what is going to happen is the ends of the perches are going to put a stress line across the width of the spring every time the spring flexes.  That can make a nice place for all the spring flexing to pivot on and could theoretically cause a problem.  I think you can totally eliminate the problem by simply grinding the ends of the perches with a small radius so it does not point-load the spring leaf.

After I thought about it for a day I decided that while it might be a fine idea for over-rider springs, it would probably cause more trouble than it fixes in an underslung situation.  
I thought about cutting off the front and taking  a small wedge out of the rear and bending the tail up a bit so it  would only contact the spring in a wrap situation. 

In the end I cut them off at 4 1/4" which should  be 1/4" longer than stock...don't ask why, can't say.  The tail idea might work and could be added later but for now I'll just have to not try to do a Corky.

Tube bending.  I already straightened both tubes before welding.  Both were out 1/8 so I used the heat/cool method to make the jig fit in.  Now I'll do it again to get everything string straight.

BB

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.