FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2014 11:02 PM  #1

Aluminum Radiator paint opinions?

Anyone believe in painting the top tank, of an aluminum radiator, black?  Or should one just leave it be natural?  I tend to go for stockish appearances but maybe painting would be a stroke too far.

The other issue is the radiator overflow hose.  I still have the original hose, coiled up and in a box of parts.  It was not long enough to use with my coolant recovery tube.  I went to NAPA and they did not have any hose that was similar in wall thickness.  So I had to use a much heavier fuel hose.  I don;t like it.  When I install the new aluminum radiator I want to use a more appropriate hose.

Any idea on sources?

Last edited by boomyal (4/25/2014 11:03 PM)

4/26/2014 5:51 AM  #2

Re: Aluminum Radiator paint opinions?

mine came from autozone.  nothing special

4/26/2014 6:43 AM  #3

If you paint it ...don't mess around, use Epoxy/2K primer first, Eastwood has one in an aerosol,and a top coat too, both 2K....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

4/26/2014 6:53 AM  #4

Agree with Joe. When I get to that point I'll be painting my aluminum rad as well. ( I like the stock look too)..

It's hard to type "funny"

4/26/2014 9:44 AM  #5

If you feel that you must paint the tubes and fins, don't use anything but paint specifically formulated for radiators and as little of that as possible. Paint on the fins and tubes reduces the heat transfer capability of the radiator. The factory radiators that come painted are balancing heat transfer with external corrosion resistance.

4/26/2014 9:57 AM  #6

Hornman wrote:

If you feel that you must paint the tubes and fins, don't use anything but paint specifically formulated for radiators and as little of that as possible. Paint on the fins and tubes reduces the heat transfer capability of the radiator. The factory radiators that come painted are balancing heat transfer with external corrosion resistance.

I probably would not paint the tubes and fins, just the top and bottom tanks and the side rails.  I will also re-use my black factory shroud.  I don't think that I have to worry about any corrosion as the car is a total fair weather queen.

I do like the sound of the epoxy primer.  I have a can of two part marine epoxy primer.  I'll have to see if it is still alive OR I could use the old standby primer for aluminum, ie that nasty, toxic, politically incorrect Zinc Chromate. 

4/26/2014 9:58 AM  #7

jerseyjoe wrote:

..... both 2K....jj.......

???????

4/26/2014 12:46 PM  #8

..... both 2K....jj.......
???????

That's the name Eastwood calls this product line.........google is your friend.......

4/26/2014 2:25 PM  #9

josh-kebob wrote:

.....That's the name Eastwood calls this product line.........google is your friend.......

I re-made my old friends aquantance and found the two part Eastwood Aerosols, specifically AeroSpray™ Ceramic Chassis BlackThey actually have three black top coats.  One standing alone is Rat Rod Black.  It looks way too flat. Then they have Chassis Black in Satin and Gloss.  They only show one picture (of a rear axle assy) and they do not say whether it is gloss or satin. 

I am also not sure which would be the best for the visible radiator tank.  They also do not say if these spray cans are a one shot deal.  You have to puncture the catalyst tube before using.  I do not think that the paint and catalyst mix until it is sprayed but I also do not know if by  puncturing the catalyst tube you ruin its shelf life.

Last edited by boomyal (4/26/2014 2:27 PM)

4/26/2014 2:48 PM  #10

Here is my Champion aluminum rad. The top is polished, The bottom is chromated and black laquered, fins are natural. I am in progress of custom making a fan shroud to maximize airflow through thr rad and A/C condensor.
Don't use anything but laquer paints on a rads, enamels and epoxies will inhibit heat transfer,conventional wisdom says don't paint them at all.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/26/2014 3:25 PM  #11

Ya but, Rudi!  I can't hardly imagine that painting the top and bottom tanks and the side straps would alter the rad's ability to disapate heat.  Leaving the fins and tubes unpainted makes sense.

Last edited by boomyal (4/26/2014 3:25 PM)

4/26/2014 4:00 PM  #12

I painted part of my aluminum Griffin radiator.  Only the part that would show through the front grille.  I hate it when you see a shiny radiator or body color showing through the grille where it is supposed to be black.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/26/2014 4:03 PM  #13

boomyal wrote:

Ya but, Rudi!  I can't hardly imagine that painting the top and bottom tanks and the side straps would alter the rad's ability to disapate heat.  Leaving the fins and tubes unpainted makes sense.

Let me be clear...what Rudi is saying is, don't load up the fins with multipule  coats...But the aluminum tanks should be primed.....epoxy or Zinc Cromate adheres to aluminum best,then topcoat it...personally I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a light coat of   black primer on the fins, and leave it at that.... you would have to be a scientist to see the lack of heat transfer by painting the fins with one coat....jj    

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

4/26/2014 5:31 PM  #14

MustangSteve wrote:

I painted part of my aluminum Griffin radiator.  Only the part that would show through the front grille.  I hate it when you see a shiny radiator or body color showing through the grille where it is supposed to be black.

The front of mine won't matter as I have an A/C condensor in the front of it.  If that were not the case I might consider dusting the front of it with a suitable radiator paint.

4/27/2014 1:20 PM  #15

I installed my aluminum radiator yesterday. Used a vaccum rubber hose.. Had to as the overflow recovery tank had the metal lines coming out that were too smal for the 5/16th that the radiator overflow plug was made for. So stretchy cable is what I needed. Posting pics and details in my radiator post

And yes it freakjng works !

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

4/27/2014 1:31 PM  #16

I think I read an article years ago about black being a superior color for radiators, because it allows better transfer of heat than the reflective silver of aluminum.  

I'm sure it's a fine balance between how much paint you put on (and its insulative qualities) vs. the improvement due to color.  Probably one of those things that works out being a wash, even if you do it 'right'.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.