FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2014 9:27 AM  #1

At the risk of a doh! Question

Recently I got my '65 FB back from the painter. Yesterday I purchased some new tires and when they removed the wheel, all I could think about was that the brake rotors look odd. What direction does the curved slots go? I think they may be installed wrong.
Thanks!

4/27/2014 9:56 AM  #2

Re: At the risk of a doh! Question

William, are you talking about the grooves in the rotor face or the internal vented vanes at the rotors edge? If it's the grooves on the face I don't think it matters, I've seen them both directions. I think more importantly you go off the cooling vanes if your rotor has them.

4/27/2014 11:47 AM  #3

Thanks John!
Just to be sure, if I stick a screwdriver in the top, which way for the internal fins?
Thanks

4/27/2014 1:57 PM  #4

The internal fins act like a pump. Air goes in the center and is forced out the perimeter. Vanes need to go from center to two o'clock on driver side for example.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/27/2014 4:01 PM  #5

If you're referencing a ventilated rotor (one that has an air gap between the inner and outer friction surfaces), it depends on the vane design if the rotor is directional or not.

If the ventilated rotor cooling vanes are straight (no curvature to them) then it doesn't matter what side of the vehicle the rotor is placed on. If the cooling vanes between the inner and outer friction surfaces are curved, then the curvature of the rotor vanes should face rearward.

If you're talking about slotted rotors (slots cut into the friction surface of the disc) and which way they should point, it depends on if the cooling vanes are curved or straight. If the cooling vanes are curved then orient the rotor so that the cooling vanes point rearward regardless of which way the slots are pointed. If the vanes are straight, the slots could be turned either direction but, the slots are generally also installed pointing rearward. Again, it mainly depends on the vane design and the manufacturers recommendation on installation.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.