FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2014 6:03 PM  #1

2 part of rust repair turning out not to be so simple.

I started on the only other rust spot.  A rust spot below the one I just fixed closer to the bottom of the core support.  Its an area with double panels.  I cut off the flat side on the back so I could see just how bad it is.  It was a bit worse than I was hoping for.    So I decided to cut it all out and replace it with new metal.   I then cut some new replacement pieces with the plasma cutter and started trial fitting.   I was hoping that I could slide this this new piece in and weld it to the curved area, but there was too much damage, so I made a strip to cut into and fill in.   Once this is in, then I will make and weld in a flat piece for the backside, and the repair will be done.   What ya think?  Any suggestions?

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/17/2014 8:15 PM  #2

Re: 2 part of rust repair turning out not to be so simple.

Looks like you got it under control. I'd just make sure to get some weld through primer on everything and think you'll be good..

It's hard to type "funny"

4/17/2014 8:35 PM  #3

Nice work Greg.
Progress is a great thing.

4/17/2014 9:00 PM  #4

What stopped my progress today was my 83 year old neighbor came outside to express his displeasure with me running my shop tools at 7:00 am. While he was watching the news   To which I replied, "yes sir, I will work on this later"  

Just not a fan of running that plasma cutter inside.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/18/2014 6:44 AM  #5

Greg B wrote:

What stopped my progress today was my 83 year old neighbor came outside to express his displeasure with me running my shop tools at 7:00 am. While he was watching the news   To which I replied, "yes sir, I will work on this later"  

Just not a fan of running that plasma cutter inside.  

Ha! well I'd have to agree with your neighbor on that one. Most city noise ordinances allow from 9:00am to 9:00pm.

Last edited by Derek (4/18/2014 6:59 AM)

4/18/2014 10:00 AM  #6

I didnt get a whole lot done this morning before I have to put on a different hat.    But I got the filler piece radiused in and cleaned.    Then I shot rust converter into the opening and hope it reaches all the way too the battery side.    The neighbor is a retired auto worker.   He usually doesnt care.  It was just YESTERDAY.   There isnt any problem.   In fact, I am heading over to pull his lawn tractor out of the mud in a few.  

Notice when I cut out the back of the panel, I left a tiny lip for that piece to ride in to aid lining it all up.  

4/28/2014 7:45 AM  #7

Finally got a chance to get on this some more.   The bottom picture is where it started. The top one is the support that came off the car.  It is rotten all accross the bottom and the other side.   I am going to clean up my radius weld a bit more with a dremel stone, but I didnt have the one I wanted to use.  Luckily I didnt have any spots I needed to touch up with the welder as I ran out of gas at the very end  as well.   I think it came out pretty decent.    

4/28/2014 10:07 AM  #8

On that neighbor thing...  You did the right thing. 

BUT, I would have also added "Sir, what would be a reasonable, appropriate time for me to start and stop working if I am making noise?"

That way any future interruptions can be dealt with before they become a problem.

What the hell were you doing up at 7:00 am anyway? LOL

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/28/2014 1:15 PM  #9

MustangSteve wrote:

What the hell were you doing up at 7:00 am anyway? LOL

Using the plasma cutter!  

4/28/2014 3:46 PM  #10

Looks really good, Greg.
I think I get more done between 6 and 10 AM
 than I do the rest of the day.

4/28/2014 4:25 PM  #11

darren wrote:

Looks really good, Greg.
I think I get more done between 6 and 10 AM
 than I do the rest of the day.

That's just a really sick comment......
Who...in their right mind would get up and start work before 10AM anyway?!!
I guess I have truly been retired toooo long!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/28/2014 8:03 PM  #12

Greg B wrote:

Finally got a chance to get on this some more.   The bottom picture is where it started. The top one is the support that came off the car.  It is rotten all accross the bottom and the other side.   I am going to clean up my radius weld a bit more with a dremel stone, but I didnt have the one I wanted to use.  Luckily I didnt have any spots I needed to touch up with the welder as I ran out of gas at the very end  as well.   I think it came out pretty decent.    
Good work! I like doing little odd shaped patches like this. It keeps me sharp for when I really need it..

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.