FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2014 10:12 PM  #1

Thermostatic clutch fan

I want to get rid of my flex fan and install a clutch fan set up. Does anyone know a part number for the thermostatic clutch and fan blade? How about a set up from a wrecking yard maybe from a Granada or bronco?  My car is a 65 fastback with a 1973 302 engine. Stock style radiator with a extra row.

4/28/2014 9:13 AM  #2

Re: Thermostatic clutch fan

You might try Glaziers Mustang Barn. They sell the clutch fans by the length to match your set up. Do you have the fixed fan blade already? They probably have that too.
Good luck

4/28/2014 4:26 PM  #3

Here is a cost effective option if you run the reverse rotation waterpump common on '85-'93 5.0 H.O. Mustangs.... I've got one on my friend's '66 Falcon that i swapped a late motor into(I know this doesn't apply to everyone)

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-2733K/Mustang-Replacement-Fan-Clutch-Kit-79-93-50

4/28/2014 5:17 PM  #4

Fan diameter is going to be dictated by the opening in the fan shroud --if you have one. If you don't have a shroud, then not so much.

My '69 F-100 (240 6 cyl.) came with a factory 4 - blade fixed fan and no shroud. I bought a 7 - blade Ford fan (designed for a clutch) off Ebay for $15.00 plus shipping. I went to Oreilly Auto Parts and bought a fan clutch for a '79 F-150 with a 300 inline six for around $35.00 bucks.

The fan had a D0SE part number (I think it was possibly from a Thunderbird) and its around 18-1/2"- 19" in diameter. I'm sure you could get the clutch from O'Reilly Auto Parts for whatever year model Mustang needed.  After that, it would just be a matter of getting a fan designed for a clutch to work with your application.

You just have to pay attention to the blade pitch on the potential donor fan so that it's angled in the correct direction to pull air through the radiator and not blowing it back towards it. --I got bitten by this because I initially tried to use a factory 9 - blade metal Explorer fan but, I didn't think about the fact that it was designed for a reverse rotation water pump!

4/28/2014 9:07 PM  #5

Thanks for the info! Funny enough I was just looking at a  F150 with a 6 banger at a u pull yard the fan is a 6 blade 18" diameter. My flex fan is 17" so I need to measure my shroud to see if it will fit. Would you have a problem with a used clutch assembly? Or should I go new? Are they prone to failure?

4/29/2014 5:55 AM  #6

GP 350 wrote:

Thanks for the info! Funny enough I was just looking at a  F150 with a 6 banger at a u pull yard the fan is a 6 blade 18" diameter. My flex fan is 17" so I need to measure my shroud to see if it will fit. Would you have a problem with a used clutch assembly? Or should I go new? Are they prone to failure?

As I had mentioned, I bought a new clutch for around $35.00. That's pretty cheap, it's new and has a warranty. A used clutch's condition would be unknown.

4/29/2014 6:21 AM  #7

Viscous fan drives are fairly simple devices and I have used several used ones with no problems. If the bearing feels ok and the thing looks ok without leaks or anything it should be fine. I always go the used route since most ones at auto stores are not the thermostatic kind but just torque limiters. I always look for the ones with the thermostat coil on the front towards the radiator since they actually pump out when cold so the fan does not turn much at all. This makes for better efficiency and a lot less noise. crusing down the road, you do not need the fan, so it will pump out and provide very little torque to the fan.

4/29/2014 7:31 AM  #8

The new fan clutch I installed on my F-100 has the thermostat coil on the front.

I doubt most people do this but, if a bearing goes out in the fan clutch the water pump should be changed as well. Conversely, if a water pump bearing goes out the fan clutch should be changed as well.

http://www.haydenauto.com/fan%20clutch%20tutorial-part%201/content.aspx

4/29/2014 2:28 PM  #9

Thanks for the good info guys! One of these days I need to take the time to learn how to post some pics of my ride. 1965 fastback paid $500.00 back in 1982. Was in those days kind of a basket case, by today's standards it would be considered fairly clean.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.