FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2014 9:28 PM  #1

Power brake pedal

Hello,
I have a 1967 mustang, 390 engine, 4 speed trans and I am installing a power brake pedal and booster. It had a manual brake pedal. ( no booster )
Mustang Steve wrote a great artical regarding the application of the correct pedal for the different years of the mustang. It looks like I have the correct pedal and bracket for 1967 but the power brake pedal I  purchased from SSBC does not line up with the
clutch pedal length. It is about 3/4" shorter.
Anybody know a reason why? Are there other manufactures of power brake pedals for a 1967
mustang?
Thanks

4/29/2014 9:47 PM  #2

Re: Power brake pedal

That is the same way the factory power brake pedal fit on cars having manual transmissions.  Not sure why, but they were like that from 67-70.
Here is a not-very-good picture of the pedals in my 69.  They came original from Ford like that.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/29/2014 9:52 PM  #3

Same picture brightened up a bit.

4/30/2014 6:00 PM  #4

Thanks for getting back to me.
Just want to confirm, I'm not talking about the clutch pedal being higher than the brake pedal.
I know that's normal. Rather, when I mounted the power brake pedal with the 3/8" bolt at the top
of the pedal assembly it is shorter than the clutch pedal.
Looking at your picture and from what you say, you understand what I mean and that it's normal.
Please confirm this is correct.
Thank you

4/30/2014 9:19 PM  #5

The clutch pedal is indeed longer than the brake pedal.  Well, actually it isn't, but the pivot points are different so it is positioned lower than the brake pedal.  When positioned side by side with the brake pedal connected to the booster in static position, the clutch pedal will stick out towards the driver about 1" farther than the brake pedal and will also appear to be about 1/2" to 3/4" longer.

5/01/2014 6:00 AM  #6

Thank you.
You answered my question and put my mind at ease

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.