FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2014 3:44 PM  #1

Pertronix Ignition - Considering a HEI Distributor

I have a 65 Mustang Coupe with a 289 and a 4 speed.

It has had the pertronix set up for some time and while these are good, I recently saw some HEI set ups going pretty cheap on ebay.

What do you guys think of these? Are they easy to install? Thanks.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/29/2014 4:28 PM  #2

Re: Pertronix Ignition - Considering a HEI Distributor

The HEI is a good distributor, pretty easy to install. May interfere with your air cleaner.

4/29/2014 4:36 PM  #3

I have one on my 67. No troubles with it at all, though you will either need an offset air cleaner or a small one. I have a 12" on mine to clear.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

4/29/2014 5:17 PM  #4

Just use a Ford duraspark system. Looks correct, works perfect on my 65
Very reasonable at the wrecking yard....
Howard

4/29/2014 7:07 PM  #5

hmartin025 wrote:

Just use a Ford duraspark system. Looks correct, works perfect on my 65
Very reasonable at the wrecking yard....
Howard

What years and models can you get this from?  Also, do you need anything more than the distributor itself?  Anything after the ? mid 80's would have a steel gear on it.  It would chew up the iron camshaft gear on a hydraulic flat tappet motor.(302 or pre 5.0)

4/29/2014 7:30 PM  #6

If it has a pertronix that is working, why change it, highly doubt it would gain you anything worth offsetting the cost to swap.

4/29/2014 7:51 PM  #7

That Chevy EFI distributor looks way out of place on your Ford and will definitely keep you from installing any kind of decent air cleaner.  They are all made in China.  Ford Duraspark or even your Pertronix is probably better.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/29/2014 8:05 PM  #8

I have HEI distributor that came with the crate motor I acquired from a failed restoration.  Free to a good home if you pay shipping - it does need a rotor and has a steel gear - send me a PM if interested.

4/29/2014 10:03 PM  #9

Duraspark from 75-77 Maverick works well.  Advise putting in lighter advance springs. Need Duraspark II module with blue strain relief.  See my web site for easy wiring diagram.

4/30/2014 5:02 AM  #10

Thanks for the feedback guys! I have valued your opinions. I will probably just stay with the Pertronix for now and maybe go with the Duraspark set up at a later date (if they are still easy to come by).

Thanks and thanks also for the offer of the free unit GPatrick.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/30/2014 8:44 AM  #11

That free offer pretty much tells you what it is worth!

4/30/2014 8:57 AM  #12

Pretty bad when you can't give one away!  I had my old Mallory dual point re-curved and fit with Pertronix. The Mallory looks good and is setup just right for my motor (or engine).

4/30/2014 3:29 PM  #13

MustangSteve wrote:

That Chevy EFI distributor looks way out of place on your Ford and will definitely keep you from installing any kind of decent air cleaner.  They are all made in China.  Ford Duraspark or even your Pertronix is probably better.

+2 on what Steve said ...you may also have a clearance problem...I did with a HEI on my Cleveland with  Edelbrock manifold... went to a stock dizzy with Pertronix....jj 

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

5/01/2014 7:55 AM  #14

MustangSteve wrote:

That Chevy EFI distributor looks way out of place on your Ford...

I saw one at a car show on a 302 in a 66 mustang... It really is  very weird looking on a Ford.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.