FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2014 9:18 AM  #1

At what point in assembly do you balance the engine?

Hello all 

I'm rebuilding my first engine!  Hence the newbie quesiton.  The general plan:

I'm going with a 302 from a '87-'95 to start with, I'm going to get a short block from the junkyard (which for being "a dime a dozen" are proving to be difficult to find...).  Will take it all apart and take it in for cleaning and checking first.  

I'll keep the crank and connecting rods, but will be putting in new pistons (bump up the compression).  Then I'll transfer all surving parts over from my trashed '71 302.  

I know I need to weight match the pistons and rods (will probably have a shop do it for me).  But after that, I don't know at what points of assembly to take it back in for balancing.  Do I take the block with crank, pistons, and flywheel only (no oil pan, heads, etc). for a balance then?  Then again at the very end with the complete assembly and have them blueprint the ignition at the same time?  Or do  Inot need the end one?  Any help and guidance to order of operaitons as to when to have a shop balance or blueprint would be helpful!!

Also, anyone know of a good place in the Cleveland, OH area to get the balancing done?  Same iwth where to take the block for cleaning and checking?  

Thanks!
BT

5/01/2014 9:29 AM  #2

Re: At what point in assembly do you balance the engine?

BT, you will be balancing the "rotating assembly".  That's everything that hooks to the crankshaft, including the crankshaft.  And the flywheel/flex plate, and harmonic balancer. And rods, pistons and pins.  That needs to be done before any assembly starts.  You should let the professionals do the entire balance job.  It's not that expensive.
Also, just a thought - if per chance you do not need to bore the cylinders, re-use the old pistons, and spend money on new cylinder heads with smaller combustion chambers to gain your desired compression ratio, plus getting better flow than the stockers.
Enjoy your build, keep us posted.

5/01/2014 9:46 AM  #3

X2 what Pablo said. I also had the shop install my new cam bearings. It was cheap and easier for them to do it. I pretty are I had them vat, check the block, stall cam bearings, and freeze plugs. Then I installed the short block. Took them my flywheel and balancer. They balanced everything.

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

5/01/2014 10:47 AM  #4

Thanks!

So it sounds like I just bring the balanicng shop a box o' loose parts (all the rotating ones, not even assembling the pistons to rods if I have new pistons) and they take it from there?  Then I bring 'em home and drop them into the block? 

I have some Edelbrock aluminum heads, milled down per the Edelbrock tech's insturctions (.060").  So new pistons will depend on what is in the block that I get.  I'm shooting for somehwere near 10.5 - 11.  

5/01/2014 12:21 PM  #5

Take the pistons, rods, crank, harmonic balancer and the flywheel you intend to use and have them balance the assembly.  But, tell them to NOT do any lightening or modifications to the balancer or the flywheel.  At some point, you may have to REPLACE one or both of those parts, and it is impossible to replicate any balancing without redoing the whole assembly.  Keep the harmonic balancer STOCK and the flywheel STOCK.  Balance work should be performed on crank, pistons and rods only.

But, they still need to have those items in the assembly so they can get the crank balanced properly for the components you will be using.

And for an additional tip.   Yes, have the shop install the cam bearings.  And when you start to assemble the new engine, the very first part you install on the block after chasing all the threaded holes and cleaning it thoroughly is the CAMSHAFT.  Yes, the first thing. 

Before you install the cam in the block, place the cam retainer thrust plate on the front of the cam and then bolt the timing sprocket to the camshaft and torque it to spec. Then you should be able to rotate the thrust plate freely on that assembly.  If the plate is too thick, you just found an issue you have no other way to find.  If there is too much clearance, then you need a thicker plate.  You can look it up, but I think from memory you do not want more than 0.002" clearance in there.  Use a feeler gauge to check it.  There is no other way to check this than to do it before the cam goes in the block.

Stand the block on its tail end and slide the cam into place.  Be sure it will rotate properly when held in place with the cam retainer plate.  I have had some where the cam bearings had a burr on them from installation and the cam would not rotate.  If you already installed crank and pistons, you are screwed and have to disassemble everything.  (Ask me how I know this) 

So, CAM FIRST, and only after you checked the thrust plate clearances.

If you plan to use stronger rod bolts, be sure they are in the rods when you have them balanced.  It WILL make a difference.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/01/2014 12:51 PM  #6

Before you have any balancing or do any parts ordering, have them clean and check the block FIRST.  You won't know what pistons to get until the bores are checked, or you may not need new ones at all.  Remember also, you can't get things too clean, a clean work area and clean parts are key to a successful engine assembly and longevity.

5/01/2014 9:38 PM  #7

This is a popular post soooo you will get plenty of "advice".
When/if you get better rod bolts(a weak spot on SBF engines) have them installed and get the big end of the rod re-sized. Not real expensive and you can rev to 6000+ and not hafta worry about those rods!
I ever tell you about rotating the pistons on the rods when installing the piston pins? FREE horsepower!!
Put the notch facing the rear of the engine.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.