FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2014 3:03 PM  #1

Clutch Safety Switch?

Hey Mustangers!

Anyone here adapted a clutch safety switch into your car?  I am in the midst of wiring my car and was thinking about adding this safety component.  I have looked into the late model mustang switches, they are a bit spendy, must be a cost effective alternative?  If it matters I have a 94-95 T-5 with cable clutch.

Kristang

4/30/2014 4:04 PM  #2

Re: Clutch Safety Switch?

There is a neutral safety switch already in the transmission.  Just wire it in.  You will have to put shifter in neutral to start the engine.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/30/2014 7:17 PM  #3

MustangSteve wrote:

There is a neutral safety switch already in the transmission.  Just wire it in.  You will have to put shifter in neutral to start the engine.

How do you wire it?  Does it go to the ingnition switch?

4/30/2014 9:14 PM  #4

You run the wire that activates the starter solenoid to one switch terminal and the other terminal goes to the starter solenoid.

In other words, cut the wire that activates the starter solenoid and hook the cut ends to the two terminals on the switch.  The switch makes continuity only when the tranny is in neutral.

5/01/2014 5:05 AM  #5

MustangSteve wrote:

You run the wire that activates the starter solenoid to one switch terminal and the other terminal goes to the starter solenoid.

In other words, cut the wire that activates the starter solenoid and hook the cut ends to the two terminals on the switch.  The switch makes continuity only when the tranny is in neutral.

Thanks MS saved my a lot time trying to figure it out.

Steve69

5/01/2014 3:59 PM  #6

I ended up installing a clutch safety switch...welded a couple of brackets to the pedal and stop bracket...one holds the switch, and the other is the stop plate. Switch is open with pedal fully up, switch closes when start to push clutch pedal in. Wired like Steve says to interupt the statrter solenoid. Switch was about $5 from carquest...think it was a brake light switch of something. Sorry, didn't take any pics of it.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

5/01/2014 6:59 PM  #7

mainiac1 wrote:

I ended up installing a clutch safety switch...welded a couple of brackets to the pedal and stop bracket...one holds the switch, and the other is the stop plate. Switch is open with pedal fully up, switch closes when start to push clutch pedal in. Wired like Steve says to interupt the statrter solenoid. Switch was about $5 from carquest...think it was a brake light switch of something. Sorry, didn't take any pics of it.

If i was to install a safety switch I like the idea of the clutch switch. If my car was to stall in traffic i would rather push in the clutch than shift into neutral to start. Or you could wire both in so either would work.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/02/2014 10:19 AM  #8

Funny the "old school" cars never had a switch like that.  They figured that common sense would prevail after you tried starting the car without pushing the clutch in.

I kind of like mine the old school way, as there have been occasions where I had to move an inop car by cranking the starter to propel the car.  Hard to do that with the clutch pushed in, or with it in neutral.

5/02/2014 10:57 AM  #9

I've got a little jumper to throw in the tool box for that ocation or if the switch fails.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.