FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2014 8:05 PM  #1

Clutch Cable for 1969 Mustang?

I noticed the kit for a clutch cable only goes to 68.
Has anyone done this, I realize there is not enough room for a quadrant. But, I had a 79 5.0, and it used a hook type connector that just a bolt or pin goes through. Very compact and would fit. I think CJ pony parts can sell 79 clutch style cables. Adjustment could be done infron of the cowl.

I can provide pics if needed,thx.
Car 69 Mach1, 392w, FPA 1 3/4 headers, lakewood scatter shield, ram2 10.5 diaphram clutch, mmr750 tko trans 3.89 31 spline detriot locker

Thanks!

4/30/2014 5:31 PM  #2

Re: Clutch Cable for 1969 Mustang?

You still must have some kind of lever arm to pull the cable and it has to be a certain length of lever arm to do the job.  There just isn't room to put a lever pointing UP.  It can point somewhere else but you must run the cable in an unconventional fashion.  I went so far as to cut out a firewall and cowl/pedal section out of a 70 so I could put it on the bench and try to design a cable clutch setup for it.  Everything I came up with was going to be too expensive to be something that I wanted to market. 

There are creative ways to do it with a quadrant.  And the Fox cable is shorter than what is normally used.  I have the cables same as Ford Racing 96-04 V8 with adjustment at the bottom on my site.

See the FYIFORD member's cars pictures on the web site.  Dwayne used a quadrant on his, but a totally different cable routing.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/30/2014 5:50 PM  #3

Thanks for the reply mustang Steve! Well, maybe some good news.. In 94 I was determined to put a tremec in my newly restored 69 FB, and previously had owned 86 GT and 79 Indy pace car. I used a spare 79 style cable, made a 7/8 in hole just infront of the top of the stock clutch pedal, and the cable outside grommet has a loop that uses a screw to hold the cable housing. Inside I simply welded a 1 inch bolt to the clutch  pedal to hook the cable (79 style has a hole/ bushing retainer as opposed to later bullet end), then added a 9/16 nut, and done! Worked ever since, and been to the track for hundreds of passes. It is ultra compact and just misses the inner cowl roof. The trick might be that you really dont need a quardrant for leverage, my pedal is easy, with king cobra clutch.  also Steeda ext adjust can be used, but the 79 style is adjustable at the bottom too, with 2 1/2 nuts... double bonus!
Can send pics if interested.
Appreciate your work!
Steve (Mach12)

4/30/2014 6:12 PM  #4

Just realised to mention, yes my travel is very short, with no quadr and direct back draw pull, I have a short throw. The lower adjusting nuts are set for almost no play, just so that the clutch isnt loaded, and never had a problem w throw out bearing. Short through is awesome with short throw tremec trans!

4/30/2014 7:21 PM  #5

Mach12 wrote:

Just realised to mention, yes my travel is very short, with no quadr and direct back draw pull, I have a short throw. The lower adjusting nuts are set for almost no play, just so that the clutch isnt loaded, and never had a problem w throw out bearing. Short through is awesome with short throw tremec trans!

Post some pics please!

4/30/2014 9:11 PM  #6

I am not following how the top of the clutch pedal can have enough movement to actuate anything.  It is only about 3/4" higher than the centerline of the pivot shaft.
Please send pictures.  The purpose of the quadrant is to keep the cable pulling straigh in line.  Any other type of lever will pull straight at one point, but will be dragging the cable across the end of the housing as it travels in and out.  A simple lever can work for a while in that configuration.

I would sure like to see how this is done.

5/01/2014 6:29 AM  #7

MustangSteve wrote:

I would sure like to see how this is done.

Me Three....

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

5/01/2014 8:16 AM  #8

Ok me four lol planning a manual swap for my 69 Mach1

5/01/2014 12:35 PM  #9

Mach12 wrote:

Even with full 1" of travel provided by a quadrant, you still have to have preload on the cable and the throwout bearing rotates all the time.  It takes 1/2 of the pedal travel to release the clutch.

If you do some very simple math or a field observation, it will tell you the top of the clutch pedal only moves about 1/4" total at full travel of the foot contact pad.  How can that possibly actuate the clutch?

Waiting on the pictures.

5/01/2014 1:16 PM  #10

If anyone is interested, I did find a cable kit for the 69 - 70 at moderndriveline.com

Last edited by Rsmach1 (5/01/2014 1:17 PM)

5/01/2014 1:20 PM  #11

5/01/2014 1:24 PM  #12

There's been a few that have used it and had problems.  The other thing I dont like about it is you have to removed your Brake Booster to install it.

Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (5/01/2014 3:51 PM)

5/01/2014 1:35 PM  #13

Good to know thxs

5/02/2014 11:20 AM  #14

That tiny clevis connection gets alot of wear.  They just do not last.  This picture is of a one-year-old assembly I took off a customer's pedal to install one of my quadrants.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.