FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2014 9:20 PM  #1

8.8 disk issues

I just completed the Explorer 8.8 conversion on my wife's 68 coupe.

After putting on a few test mile on, I noticed the the contact patterns on the disks were different. The left contact pattern is very defined while the right disk looks as if no contact at all.

Brakes bleed fine.

Any ideas?

5/05/2014 6:27 AM  #2

Re: 8.8 disk issues

Did you do a proper "Bedding" of the brakes after install? I always find a non-busy road and run at 25 MPH and do 10 slow downs (not to a complete stop) at easy brake application. Then up to 35 and do same 10 times, then 45 and 55. as the speed picks up, brake a little harder but don't stop,keep rolling. after all these at moderate brake levels do 10 from 55 with fairly hard (in control no skidding) brake application and no stop! drive around for 10 to 15 minutes to let brakes cool. Try to do all this without stopping. if you do have to stop, try to do it easy and try to roll as much as possible. Now if you do not have a good pattern on all sides of rotors, you need to fix something. Of course if your car pulls terribly as you do this exercise, you may also have a problem that needs attention. I am assuming you have everything together correctly.

5/05/2014 10:35 AM  #3

Give it time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/05/2014 3:45 PM  #4

Are these wrecking yard take - off calipers or parts store calipers? In either case, I suppose it's possible the piston could be stuck in the caliper bore and not moving freely to push the brake pad into the rotor.

Last edited by ultrastang (5/05/2014 3:46 PM)

5/05/2014 4:22 PM  #5

yup...kinda figured that a possible stuck piston or the caplier hanging on the pins. Ill check tonight

Last edited by ponch0v (5/05/2014 4:25 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.