FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2014 9:26 PM  #1

Building a coil over front suspension for my Galaxie

Here are some posts I originally made to my Galaxie forum.  Figured I would post here to get some feedback.

On January 27th Daze wrote:

As some of you may know form previous posts, my Galaxie started out life with a big block 352.  It now has a small block with an entirely aluminum upper end.  This means the OEM big block springs, even though 52 years old, are way to stiff.  I tried to get replacement springs online but all the offerings are geared to the big block.  I don't mind a stiff front end but I don't like how high my front end is sitting.  I was not willing to cut my OEM springs because cutting them would make them stiffer.  The solution...I hope, is a set of coil over shocks with 350# spring and adjustable valving.  I should be able to make this fit and hopefully get the front end riding the way I want.  I ordered them today and will update when I get them.

On January 30th Daze wrote:

got the parts today and they look like they should fit with out issue, even to the point that I am surprised that this kit is not listed as fitting a Galaxie.  I guess I will see for sure when I go to install them.

On March 26th Daze wrote:

jrdufresne wrote:

Be sure to reinforce the the control arm mounts for that. Doesn't the lower portion of the spring sit against a spanner nut that is used to adjust the ride height?

Larry

You are absolutely correct.  All the spring pressure will be on the LCA shock mounts.  Things may change when I actually get the OEM springs out, but at this point I am planning on fatting a reenforcing ring and mounting the shock on top of the LCA.  I have the rear end torn apart now and when I get it put back together the front springs are next on my list.  Thanks for the ideas and concerns, I really appreciate it!!

On April 9th Daze wrote:

Daze wrote:

Hope to get to it next week which means I probably won't get to it tell the week after 

wiser words were never spoken.  FINALLY got to work on the front end today.  only got one side torn down, but in doing so I was able to figure out what I need to do to make it work and answer a lot of question.  

First of all the over all length of the new shock is about 2" shorter than the KYB performance shock I had installed.

Believe it or not, but this should be about perfect.  The KYB shock had to be compressed about 1" to install it.  The other 1" should be made up by mounting the bottom of the shock to a reinforcement plate attached to the top of the LCA rather than the bottom like Ford originally had it.

Second, the new QA1 shock has about 1" less stroke than the KYB due to an internal and external bumper each about 1/2" thick.  again not an issue because as i said before "The KYB shock had to be compressed about 1" to install it."  Plus now I have the advantage of built in bumpering in the shock.  I will get back at it tomorrow and see if I can get things mocked up.  More to come. I will keep you posted as I know more.

On April 10th Daze wrote:

This is going to work!!!  Short of something being weird when I get it all put pack together, this install should be a piece of cake.

Just to get an idea of what I was working with I bolted the shock directly to the OEM shock mount.  As was mentioned before this is not going to be strong enough to hold the full spring load.  Ford used a much larger area to hold the front weight of the car.

After the initial mockup I extended the coil over set up to max and compared it to the uncompressed OEM spring.  They are almost the same height.  This is just a rough comparison,  I am sure the springs will compress differently but it is good to know that things are similar. 

End to end the springs are almost the same The QA1 springs are slightly smaller (total diameter) but not enough to cause issues, as you will see in the pic after this one.

As mentioned above the springs are close enough in size to work,  the QA1 coil fits beautifully in the Galaxie spring pocket.

Now to some actual fabrication.  I wanted to reinforce the LCA and put the force of the suspension in the same place Ford designed it to go in.  To that end I needed something to fill the grove where the spring sat.  To achieve this I cut the flattened top off of an extra set of OEM galaxie springs I had (didn't want to use the actual springs from the car incase this project failed and I had to go back to stock.)  The result is a round piece of steel that fits nice in the OEM pocket AND gives me a flat place to weld two cross plates to. 

These cross plates were fabbed out of 1/4" by 2" bar stock.  I still need to drill them and do a little more fitting before I can weld them to the "spring" seat.  I also plan on using spacers between the 1/4" plate and the OEM mounting holes so that the 1/4" plate cant move.

When its all said and done the mount should look something like this.

The OEM holes will also need to be drilled out to 3/8"  This is a mod I'm not worried about if for some reason I needed to go back to the stock configuration I could easily weld a couple nuts to the top side of the LCA.

So what do you think??  Anything you would have done differently, or think I should change??

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/10/2014 11:46 PM  #2

Re: Building a coil over front suspension for my Galaxie

Looks good but you could've used the same coil over shocks but with the rod on both top and bottom that way it'll hook to the oem perch then you just need that lower plate but it looks like this will work nice to. What rate springs did you end up using I did a similar set up on my 65

4/11/2014 7:19 AM  #3

Daze, I would like to see the 2 halfs tied together,  use a solid base circle with center cut out...what do you think....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

4/11/2014 7:59 AM  #4

Lookin good daze

4/11/2014 8:21 AM  #5

Good Work Daze!

4/11/2014 8:27 AM  #6

True74yamaha wrote:

Looks good but you could've used the same coil over shocks but with the rod on both top and bottom that way it'll hook to the oem perch then you just need that lower plate but it looks like this will work nice to. What rate springs did you end up using I did a similar set up on my 65

A Galaxie does not use a rod at the top like the Mustang does.  It is a stud mount so the shock I got will work in the upper mount just as Ford designed it.  The springs are 350.  should be stiff enough to allow for good handling but not so stiff that the suspension doesn't move (thats how stiff it is now, its kind of like driving a car with no front suspension, just steering)

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/11/2014 8:39 AM  #7

jerseyjoe wrote:

Daze, I would like to see the 2 halfs tied together,  use a solid base circle with center cut out...what do you think....jj

I think that would be stronger, but I also think it would be overkill?  When I was first planning this that is what I had in mind to do, but after starting I decided the two places were much easier especially sense there is a lip on the top end of the spring pocket on the LCA designed to grab the spring as you install them.  If I had used a solid plate that lip would have needed to be ground down (didn't want to do that incase I went back to OEM) or another hole drilled and at that point there is not much more material on a solid plate as there is with the two plate set up I have.  Its a good idea and I may still change to it hmmm This requires further thought.

4/11/2014 8:41 AM  #8

That being a heaving car I hope the 350 pd spring will hold the suspension up.

4/11/2014 9:09 AM  #9

stock springs are in the 400 to 450# range.  The car came with a FE352 which weighs the same as a 390.  I found this info on line

390 weighs 658 lbs
302 weighs 485
Aluminum heads -22 lbs per head for a total of -44 lbs
aluminum intake -18 lbs

485 - 44 - 18 = 423

That means by swapping out the engine and going with an all aluminum upper I shaved 235 pounds off the front end.  I also moved the battery to the trunk and the radiator is aluminum so going down to the 350 coils should be about perfect.  I hope  won't know until I get it all back together and on the road.

4/11/2014 10:14 AM  #10

I like the lower mount bracing.  If those two half-moon pieces were welded to that coil of old spring at the bottom, that would be a super strong mount.

But what about the top?  Is it just the shock mount with a single rubber bushing?  It will see the same loads as the bottom sees.  What do you have planned up there?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/11/2014 10:44 AM  #11

The pix were just for mock up.  I fully intend to weld up the spring to the 1/4" plates.  I may even tie the two plates together with a perpendicular tie bar, will see. I am probable also going to bolt the new support in both the OEM shock mount location and a second spot just to add strength.  The OEM shock mount was not centered in the coil spring so I have not decided if I want to center the lower shock mount in new holes or drill out the OEM holes and mount the bottom of the shock there.

As to the upper mount the coil spring sits in the OEM spring pocket in the frame as Ford designed.  the upper shock mount only gets the shock resistance through the bushings, not the full spring pressure like the bottom shock mount.  This pic shows the new spring mounted in the OEM ford spring pocket.

4/11/2014 12:12 PM  #12

OK, I was hoping that was the case at the top.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/11/2014 1:11 PM  #13

Daze wrote:

stock springs are in the 400 to 450# range.  The car came with a FE352 which weighs the same as a 390.  I found this info on line

390 weighs 658 lbs
302 weighs 485
Aluminum heads -22 lbs per head for a total of -44 lbs
aluminum intake -18 lbs

485 - 44 - 18 = 423

That means by swapping out the engine and going with an all aluminum upper I shaved 235 pounds off the front end.  I also moved the battery to the trunk and the radiator is aluminum so going down to the 350 coils should be about perfect.  I hope  won't know until I get it all back together and on the road.

I have the Street or Track Coilover system in my 69 Mustang and with the 450 springs it road really rough.  I switched the springs to 400 and it really smoothed out the ride.  

4/12/2014 10:20 AM  #14

Two thumbs up!  I hope it works out for you!    Im following and watching!  

On my car, Im just using Moog 8000 coil springs, 5 leaf rears I got from Suspension King, and 4 Monroe sensitrac shocks (70 to 81 Camaro, and 78 Dodge Aspen rears) . Pretty much stock stuff.  I know, boring.   It will probably ride like a log wagon, sit too high for most peoples tastes.    The only thing fancy about my suspension is the elimination of the offset shafts.   I know yours being a 62 you dont have those.  Although your lower control arm looks exactly the same as mine. 

I did get a lot of compliments on how low my Gal sat in the rear and even questions on what I did to lower it.    It was just worn out springs.    

Last edited by Greg B (4/12/2014 10:23 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/26/2014 4:19 PM  #15

Here is what the finished plate looks like

I got the drivers side coil over installed yesterday and am very pleased with the result.

They look at home in the car as if Ford designed them to be there.  The softer spring is much better.  I have only done the drivers side so I was able to compare the two sides and pulling down on the passengers side to compress the suspension got almost no movement but on the drivers side with the new setup there was good resistance AND I was able to get the suspension to move some.  A before and after pic is no contest.  

In the picture I have the coil overs set at the lowest setting.  I will probably adjust them up a bit.  With the adjustable coil overs in the front and air shocks in the back I can adjust the height on all 4 corners and really get the ride height and stance dialed in the way I want it.

4/26/2014 5:31 PM  #16

Lookin good!

4/26/2014 8:08 PM  #17

Fascinating and interesting project Daze! Look forward to results???
Howard

5/06/2014 8:49 PM  #18

Finally got around to finishing the install and putting the coil over in on the passengers side.  I posted some ride height pix before and it turns out the ride height on the drivers side was as high as it was because the OEM coil spring was still installed on the passengers side and was sharing some of the load through the sway bar.  The suspension sagged significantly when I installed the coil over on the other side.

I expected this to happen some but not to the extent it did.  Sitting with the car on the ground and the full weight going through the suspension, the top of the bump stop on the LCA was only about .5" from where it contacts the frame.  Good thing the coil overs are adjustable    However adjusting them was a pain!!!  I followed the instructions and raised the front of the car off the ground so the suspension was hanging, and used lots of anti seize but tightening the coils up still took a lot of effort.  I raised the coil seats up 2" which improved the distance between the top of the bump stop and the frame to 3"  This should be about perfect as max distance allowed between the top of the bump stop and the frame is 5".  When I was setting up the IRS for my Mustang I did a lot of research and the common consensus for correctly set up springs is at normal resting ride height you want to have 40% of total travel used and 60% travel remaining, and that is exactly what I have.

I am also really glad I went with the 350 springs.  They have a nice resistance and allow me to make good use of the adjustable shocks.  With the 350 springs and the shocks set at the lowest setting I can pull down on the front of the car and get good suspension travel.  If I set the shock at the 12th / stiffest setting and pull down on the suspension it does not move at all.  I finally set them at 3 and will adjust it from there to get the ride I want.  I am a firm believer is softer springs with good shocks and a heavy sway bar.  That way the suspension can move and do what it needs to do to deal with cornering and road imperfections but also is stiff enough that the car is not flopping all over the place.

5/07/2014 5:45 AM  #19

Looks good Daze, things just take time to figure out....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

5/07/2014 6:51 AM  #20

I just got my TCP Bolt on coil over setup for the Mach. Gonna put it on this weekend. Hopefully it turns out as good as yours....

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

5/07/2014 7:00 AM  #21

Daze,
I got the needle bearing spring seats with my QA1 set up and it adjusts real easy. I only used them for set up though since I didn't think they would like a Michigan winter under a car. After I got the ride height set, I removed them and put in a spacer the same size as the bearing. I can still make minor adjustments with out the bearings, but they really helped with the initial set up.

Dave

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.