FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2014 10:01 PM  #1

Pressure sand blasting NOT for me.

I had finished up the core support, I had been thinking of ways not to make a mess that wifey wont like, nor disturb my neighbor, I discussed with both of them and we (they) decided I should go down into the woods and do it.  So I cleared an area and set up shop, ran hose all the way down there,  approx 150 feet.  and used the hood and a respirator and tried it out.     I have a clark pressure pot, and I used a finer type playground sand.  

I got nowhere!  It did not seem to have the power to take off anything,  I dont know if I had it adjusted wrong, or it was the finer sand,  I had almost 100lbs of air pressure, and that never changed much.   All I know, is I was a mess afterwards, I even had sand in my ear USING a HOOD.  I did little clean up to the core.   Not happy with this experiment!    

I guess I will try a wire wheel, and if I dont get satisfactory results,  I will find someone that will blast them for me.     I am just going to stick to what fits in my blast cabinet, (which I use black diamond)  and anything else...   no more pressure pot blasting for me.  EVER

Moral:  sometimes experimenting with new things, you find out what you do not want to do.   

Car is not going to make it to the bash.  The house repairing is probably going to start within the next week.  And I will be busy with that.    

Progress report off.  

I will probably sell this blast pot..anyone looking?

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/08/2014 5:12 AM  #2

Re: Pressure sand blasting NOT for me.

There is a really good place near me, Greg.
I had them blast the doors on my old FB, their name is Blastco.

5/08/2014 5:13 AM  #3

I've never had much luck with the blaster either.   I think my problem was there was to much moisture coming through the air hose line and it was clogged up the sand.  

Steve69

5/08/2014 6:29 AM  #4

What size air hose did you have ? running that distance I would guess you would need 3/4" to get enough volume thru to make the blaster work, Even running 50 ft I use 1/2 hose. 

I would guess 150 ft of 1/4" hose at 100 psi at the compressor would be maybe 40 psi at the end with the line loss. 

The amount of fun is directly proportionate to the damage done.

5/08/2014 7:14 AM  #5

That was the biggest thing I was worried about.  I thought it was a volume problem.   My tank has a gauge on it, and I was watching it.   I had right at 100psi sitting, and at no time did it ever drop below 90psi.  it was the 1/4" hose.   I do think this had a lot to do with it, somehow. 

I also think it was the choice of grit.  I used a "fine" playground sand.   I could get the previous finish to come off in a few spots, but it seemed like it did nothing to any type of scalely rust.    I know at times I had too much sand coming out, so I partially closed the feeder valve, until it seemed like that wasnt the problem.     I do not think I had any problem with moisture, the sand came out.  

I do think that using a more aggressive media, like the black diamond coal slag would probably solve the problem, but without a tarp set up to collect and recycle some of it, it seems like that is going to get expensive in a hurry if the removal rate is the same.  

This the the manual for the tank I have.  

http://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/manuals/garage_equipment/cpsb100.pdf

Last edited by Greg B (5/08/2014 7:29 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/08/2014 7:25 AM  #6

Your problem was not enough volume. You need high CFM to get the proper results and 1/4" hose  at 150 feet will not gitter done.
 You also need dedicated blasting media, playground or beach sand is not worth the effort.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/08/2014 8:00 AM  #7

If you had a gauge at the "tool" end of the hose, it would stil read 100 PSI until you pulled the trigger.  Then it would drop way down.
I beadblast in my cabinet using about 50 feet of 3/8" hose and it works great.  it is a real fine sand, nothing like playground sand.  You might have done better with a media designed to cut instead of build castles.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/08/2014 10:02 AM  #8

It probably would have been better if you had used a large-gauge extension cord and moved the air compressor out to the site than trying to use a long air hose.  Some U-Rentum places rent gas-powered compressors - maybe that would be an alternative.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

5/08/2014 11:01 AM  #9

Check out media blasting aka soda blasting. You can leave on chrome glass everything and it won't harm it. There's a place here in slc that will put up a structure blast the vehicle and clean up all the mess. An hour is only 50$ they say it usually takes and about 3 hours to do a car.

5/08/2014 11:14 AM  #10

Gotta be careful with soda blasting. A lot of the paint folks don't like it if it hasn't been cleaned and nuetralized properly.

With my terrible home compressor I blasted a few spots using the coal slag stuff from Northern tool. It worked great, but my compressor is too small.

5/08/2014 11:52 AM  #11

You could always do as others do and use some air craft stripper

5/08/2014 7:07 PM  #12

The Black Diamond isn't going to do much better unless you get the CFM to the pressure pot and the nozzle, I have used the Black Diamond and don't really like the finish it leaves, with enough pressure at the nozzle it really tears up the metal, I typically use silica sand but you need to use a good respirator with it, it can cause silicosis if inhaled. the silica sand leaves a slightly rough finish the first time it is used and gets better each time it is reused, 

I once sand blasted the inside on a 8 ft truck box, once I got set up it took 13 minutes to completely blast it. 

The amount of fun is directly proportionate to the damage done.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.