FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2014 2:47 PM  #1

Radiator hose temps.

Hello again, Robby 13 here. I was just checking over my cooling system, all seems to be ok. I was wondering if there is a safe temperature for the upper and lower hose. I have 2 cars that couldn't be more different: 67 fastback, 390 gt, 0.030 over, forged pistons, edelbrock heads, and intake,  4 core 24" radiator, 7 blade 18.25 inch flex fan, fan shroud, spring in bottom hose.
     The other is a 68 coupe, .030 over, c4, 3 row 20" rad,  edelbrock intake, 17" 7 blade flex fan, and a shroud . what should the ballpark temp be for the hoses if there is such a thing. When I took the temps with a infrared thermometer, I found on the big block, the top hose was 130deg. bottom hose, about 120 ish. The small block ran a little hotter, 140 upper, 130 lower. Consistent 10 deg. difference. It was 70 deg. outside when taking temp. Just a curious observation. What's everyone's take on this?

5/07/2014 2:58 PM  #2

Re: Radiator hose temps.

What temp thermostats are installed?  Were the engines up to the "normal" zone on your temp gauges?  Temps seem low to me.....

5/07/2014 3:08 PM  #3

I would think that the hose itself offers some insulation value so the actual fluid will be hotter.  It might be better to look at the inlet and outlet connections right at the radiator tank for both for a better comparison.  Hose thickness may also impact the readings as well as the emissivity/reflectivity of the hoses themselves when using an infrared device.  A shiny versus flat hose surface will yeild different results. 

5/07/2014 3:33 PM  #4

Those numbers are similar to a recent test I did on a 65 Mustang with a 351W in it.  Hoses were alot cooler than radiator and about 10-20 degree drop top to bottom.

You guys worry about stuff too much!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/07/2014 6:47 PM  #5

Yes, both motors were at operating temp as far as the temp gague was concerned. Thermostat is 180 on both. Was wondering also what effect a/c would have on the small block set up.
  Hey Steve, this has to do with the a/c conversation we had a few weeks ago. We , or I was trying to decide, vintage air, or classic auto air. Classic auto air comes with seperate a/c, and heat coils. Vintage does not. Any advantage or disadvantage ? It says the stock (OE) ac had the seperate coils. What's your take on that?

5/07/2014 7:12 PM  #6

Not sure what they mean by separate coils.  You have one with hot water in it and one with freon.  How could there possibly be just one?

I have Vintage and am happy with the performance in all types of weather.  It was nice to have a good defroster with chilled air coming to it one day in a cool rainstorm recently.  Worked as well as my newer cars, and a hell of alot easier to work the controls than on our new Lincoln MKZ.

I cannot really compare to the other brand as I have never had one in my car or been in a car that had one.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/08/2014 11:19 AM  #7

Did the small block have alluminum heads? That will have a lot to do with what you saw. Also the fluid mixture and hoses. Your motors probably hotter than you think any ways. Your temp sender will be in the manifold you'll get a cooler rating there then in what some people consider a true hot reading which would be off the head. It really depends on the car how cool it will run. I have a 350 in an 85 chevy k10 it have a 190 stat in it, that truck runs way cool I only get up to about 165 and that's on what a hot day here in slc is which is low hundreds. So really just depends on the vehicle.

5/09/2014 3:40 AM  #8

That sounds about right. The aluminum heads do make difference as far as heat. Both motors run nice, I'm not complaining, just curious. Thanx for respond.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.