FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2014 12:55 PM  #1

Anyone ever measure their exhaust backpressure?

I stayed up all night and finally thought of something else I could worry about. I hooked a pressure gauge up into the exhaust pipe about 2 feet from the collector (shorty headers). At 5500 rpm under full load and wide open throttle, I get about 4 psi. Below 2000 rpm I get 0 and it slowly ramps up to the 4 psi reading. Not really looking for opinions on optimized exhaust systems. Just wondering if anyone else ever felt the need to check theirs.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

5/09/2014 1:53 PM  #2

Re: Anyone ever measure their exhaust backpressure?

All the work you did to install the pressure gauge is only useful if the readings you got actually worry you. If they don't worry you, you wasted your time. And no, I have never wondered what my exhaust pressure was. I always assumed that if there was a hole in the exhaust system from the exhaust valve all the way to the rear bumper, the exhaust gas would find its way. 

5/09/2014 3:11 PM  #3

Kind of cool that you did test it though. =)

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

5/09/2014 8:28 PM  #4

Did that on my 78 El Camino 383 stroker one time, but there was a reason.  That is how you test to see if a catalytic converter is clogged up.  Test between manifold and converter.

It wasn't plugged, and was a total waste of time in my case also.  That was 20 years ago and have never seen the need to do it again.

I wish you lived close by because I have a million things that you could help me do that actually accomplish something!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/10/2014 5:25 AM  #5

MustangSteve wrote:

I wish you lived close by because I have a million things that you could help me do that actually accomplish something!

Hey, I resemble that. I guess it's true what Derek says, "It's hard to type funny."

5/10/2014 8:32 PM  #6

What you have there is a data point. What you do with it can make it very valuable or worth nothing. Me thinks that if you make any mods and check that again, you will have another data point. Now the thing with data points is what do they correlate with? If you see a Horsepower improvement with a change in that point, you may have a lead to know what to try next for more improvement ( of course the opposite works too if you get a decrease, you may want to go the other way). I applaud the effort!

5/11/2014 8:07 AM  #7

Yeah, I was hoping someone else was as curious as I was. Seems MS, with his myriad of muffler changes would have been the perfect one to gather data, but he seems to be out of the muffler changing business for now.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.