FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2014 2:56 PM  #1

in another post we were discussing rear gears

What exactly is involved in changing the gears in my OEM 8"??

can someone give me a play by play??  

5/10/2014 2:57 PM  #2

Re: in another post we were discussing rear gears

Question you should be asking what do want out of the rear end ?

5/10/2014 3:02 PM  #3

I'm in the middle of asking my self that to I know I want it more around down cruse and highway gearing no real strip for me. I'm also wanting to upgrade my trans to a newer AODE trans from
A newer mustang but that's in the future.

5/10/2014 3:13 PM  #4

I'm going to lower the gear from 3.00 to prolly 3.55 so that my AOD doesnt bog down the motor so much.

5/10/2014 4:06 PM  #5

Terry, if you want, you can use this to play around with what you've got, and what you WILL have, so you get an idea of what to expect.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

It seems complicated, but when you realize you can click on a lot of things and get drop downs (like choosing the transmission you want) it's not so bad.

Another person much wiser than me has said that you want at least around a 10:1 final drive ratio in first gear, if you're going to drag race.  I'm not a pro drag racer or anything, so I can't swear to that.

I do know that my car gets really good economy around 2200 rpms, so if your engine is similar, having your final drive ratio putting the RPMs there at the speed you drive (on the highway in 4th gear) would probably make sense.

And last thing - in looking at limited-slip and locking rear gears, anything that really locks up will tend to hurt your handling by making you understeer.  (the inside tire is always going to have full traction, and will want to make you go straight, under throttle)

My thought is that for drag racing, a locking rear gear setup would be good, but for daily driver or curves, you'd want maybe an Auburn, or original style Ford setup.  I think the clutches on the Auburn rear ends are said to wear longer before they require maintenance.

If you have deep pockets, the Torsen rear gears look AWESOME, but I don't know if they even make them for an 8" Ford.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

5/10/2014 8:08 PM  #6

terry wrote:

What exactly is involved in changing the gears in my OEM 8"??

can someone give me a play by play??  

When I put an AOD in my 68 I put a set of 3.25 rear gears in my 8 inch and used the factory manual for the step by step procedure. Not too difficult but a few special tools and gauges are needed.
  Although a crush sleeve can be used I went with shims. IMO the crush sleeve is a factory time saver on the assembly line  but the shims are a  better choice.
While I was at it I put in an Auburn Gear limited slip.

Last edited by Rudi (5/10/2014 8:09 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/11/2014 5:24 PM  #7

Terry;

Lots of good info on the web about how to setup the 8" and 9" Ford gears.  I did one years ago and it worked fine.  Since then I have had two different sets of 3.55 gears set up by supposed pros for our 66 and both howled like a mashed cat.  I also drove a friends 73 Vert to the Tomball bash and it had a 8" that was professionally set up, I think...also howling all the way there and back.

If you you borrow a dial indicater and mag stand from me, along with my beam type inch pound torqure wrench I think you could set them up as good as a pro.  Just take your time and don't be afraid to do it over if you go too far on the crush sleeve...or use shims and a solid sleeve like Rudi suggests.

I think the hardest part is holding down the pinion housing while putting the torque to it. The rest just requires the patience to get it right. 

Read the instructions a couple of times, borrow the tools and dive in.  You may need to have the bearings pressed off/on but the setup you can do your self and probably take the time to do it right.

Or...you can go to the 8.8.  Other than all the cutting, welding, and straightning, I'm told they are easier to set up and are a bit more forgiving.  I'm about to find out.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/12/2014 4:27 PM  #8

To hold the pinion from rotating while torquing the pinion shaft nut, clamp the drive shaft yoke in your press and it will not go anywhere.  It's like having a 400 pound, very secure wrench holding it from rotating.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/13/2014 7:47 AM  #9

Terry,

Should you decide to let some pros handle it, there is a group called "Axle Boys" over in St. Peters, MO that really knows their stuff.  Worth the drive.  They deal primarily with Jeeps and off road vehicles.  It's a fun store to shop at.  I had an 8" set up with a "trac lock" third member.  Went with 4.11 gears, but I have a pretty wide RPM band to play with.  Most people wouldn't like it.  They used a center made by Auburn.  It's pretty much silent, never binds or clunks, so the only way you know it's working is to leave two stripes instead of one. (You have to check these things once in a while...)  Let me know if you need their number. Actually, I'm certain it's on the website.  It was worth it to me to know it was done right.  I've set one up with the paste and dial indicater, and it worked out OK.  Maybe I was just feeling lazy at the time, but I was pleased with the Axle Boys.

http://axleboy.com

5/13/2014 6:59 PM  #10

MustangSteve wrote:

To hold the pinion from rotating while torquing the pinion shaft nut, clamp the drive shaft yoke in your press and it will not go anywhere.  It's like having a 400 pound, very secure wrench holding it from rotating.

The "chunk" is a pain to hang on to when you are changing the gears and setting it up.  Many times it is better to spend a few hours making some type of a simple fixture to make the job less of a headache.
 I always like to make up these special jigs and fixtures to keep stuff from ending up bouncing off the floor or worse yet on my toes.
 A few scrap pieces of steel and angle could be fabbed up to bolt the thing to and then bolt the whole mess to a table or held in a vice.
 Here is a picture of a differential holder I made from aluminum, it can be rotated and clocked into various positions while the gears are put in, back lash's set and mesh contact patterns adjusted. I have a heavy steel top table that I bolt it to, not that B&D thingee in the picture

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/13/2014 7:02 PM  #11

Thanks Lance!  I may call them.  I'm not sure I want to try this change

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.