FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2014 9:53 AM  #1

Now at carb tuning holley 600cfm on '69 302

Ok so like GPatrick told me to do. I have the timing set to where first only using mechanical I didn't have a knock.. Using white out on the block. And then backing off in small increments.. Got that done. Now I need to make sure the carb is tuned right. I had a bog at 2000-2500 rpm. That told me it was lean. #4 #5 abd #6 spark plugs had some signs of lean.

I have gone back to stock now on my jets 65 that is. The accelerator can shaft (orange stock) had been moved to position #1

And I now have a vaccum gauge: and with that gauge at idle (in drive and with AC on) I was able to tune my idle mixture to give me a max of 11Hg

I was trying to maintain an idle rpm of 650-700 in gear and with AC on

This stuff has been done slowly over the week
Carb has vaccum secondaries
What are your suggestions?

Last edited by Gaba (5/08/2014 9:54 AM)

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

5/08/2014 9:57 AM  #2

Re: Now at carb tuning holley 600cfm on '69 302

that's cylinder 5

cylinder 6

Forgot to take #4's pic

That one was all tan with a little bit of greying just a little bit

All other spark plugs were all tan and looked good
This was with smaller jets ---62 ... Last night I put 65 back in

5/08/2014 11:01 AM  #3

Does the carb have the secondary spring quick-change kit installed?  Some of the newer Holleys come with this already installed.  Continuing with process of elimination you do not know if you have a bog from the secondaries or the primaries.  A good way to test this is to block out the secondaries.  The best way to do this is to install the siffest secondary spring but you can also use some creative vice-gripping to deactivate the secondary opening.  You don't want to un-hook the the diaphragm since the spring is used to help close the secondaries.  With the secondaries disabled perform your testing that creates this bog.  You did not indicate where this was experiencd when you floor-board it or during normal driving.  Recreate your testing and see if the bog remains.  It won't necessarily pull as hard but if there is no measurable bog then this tends to point to too weak of secondary spring.  Purple is a very common out of the box spring color and you may find that you need to step up one or two springs to eliminate the bog.  There is a chance that a blocked or eliminated power valve could cause a bog and it also could be that the accelerator pump shot is inadequate but first, it should have a power valve in it and second, you should have enough pump shot for what you are running.  Eliminating the power valve is sometime a trick used by drag racers to gain control of mixture at WOT but for a street driven machine they are essential.

If the bog remains when the secondaries are blocked, you may have to investigate going up OR down on jet size.  You can have a lean or rich bog.  On a chassis dyno or with O2 sensors you could see what is happening and avoid guessing.  So, I would go up to 67 and try it.  If it is worse, you know that you may need to drop back from 65.

Some people consider the kick-in-the pants that is experienced when the secondaries indicates a big boost.  However, if you can feel the secondaries open, you are losing power.  When properly set up, you will not even feel them opening.  There is no universal way to know what secondary spring will work based on engine size, car weight etc.  Holley has guidelines but from my experience your particular application may be two ligher or two stiffer.  Here is the link to Holley for the kit  - http://www.holley.com/20-59.asp

So in summary - test the primary circuit alone and make adjustments if necessary, then experiment with secondary springs to get the best transition. 

5/08/2014 11:34 AM  #4

Regarding idle speed, if you have an aftermarket cam, the cam manufacturer may provide some idle speed recommendations.  With a more aggressive cam, vacuum and the engine's willingness to continue to run often drops off a cliff as you reduce idle speed.  With modern oil issues with flat tappet cams, a higher idle tends to improve spash lubrication to the cam lobes.  This may mean that with your torque converter the car will require some effort to keep it still at a stop light but preserving the cam and keeping your mixture optimized are usually more important.  It could be that what you have is OK but it is worth investigating.

And after re-reading your post - keep in mind that you can have a rich or lean bog.  I have found that with today's gas, it is hard to read plugs and if you idle for any period of time before you shut off, you are probably only seeing the idle mixture and you are not reading main jetting.

Last, for a lower RPM bog, you may also be able to improve this range by opening up the idle screws 1/8 or 1/4 turn on both sides.  You are balancing idle circuits and main circuits in this region so slight adjustments to one or both can help.  If you have to go too rich on idle to get past the bog (if it is indeed a lean bog) then you need to go to larger mains and back off on the idle, for example.

5/08/2014 7:36 PM  #5

Reading plugs is a great way to keep away from burning up a motor. BUT you gotta do it with clean (new) plugs and at the conditions you expect disaster. I always do one when I make a carb change or major change to the motor. I install a new set of plugs and go run a hard lap and cut the ignition while at full throttle and at the rpm close to where I expect to run. after killing the ignition, I pop it into neutral and coast to a safe stop (pits or safe spot on side of road). I then pull all the plugs and put them in a holder with numbers so I can tell what hole they came out of. Pop in another set of plugs and go back to look at the hot ones. You need ot use a magnifying glass to look at the insulator down in the plug where it meets the body. If your color is good there, you are golden. You gotta remember though plug cuts will only keep you from melting your motor. A lot of the time you need a lot richer mixture to make a specific set of part work good. I've had several that had a drop in the power curve that only could be fixed by richening up.Ok, basically what I am trying to say is your plugs look rightfully conservative for a street machine and fix the stumble first and if you are racing, then do the plug cuts and tune for the sky!

5/09/2014 3:23 AM  #6

Hello Gaba, Robby 13 here. It sounds like you might have to big a carb. I've been through this. I have a 67 390 gt, and it came with a 600 Holley. I don't know what type of driving you do, it if you race etc., but for regular driving I would go smaller. Holley has a nice feature on their website, its a carb selector. You enter things like rpm operating range, vacuum secondary, or mechanical etc. They are spot on! I put a 600 on my 289 and had the same symptoms your explaining. Remember, with a carb, bigger is not always better! Check out the Holley site, very informative. Good luck.

5/09/2014 8:23 AM  #7

I have had this carb conversation before. I see that I know it's a bit bigger than required. I tried looking around. I don't like the fact that I can tweak edelbrocks enough and I don't want a 2 barrel. And all that said, I am now sort of stuck with this. It's too much money and time to now start trying to sell mine and get another one and starting over. This carb can be tuned for working well with this '69 302. I do love the fact that I can work on almost anything on this holley without it being too complicated .

I am testing the car out driving around now. Just making trips back and forth on the highway.... It has done well. No stumble yet. I am happy

Did break my windshield wiper switch yesterday as it was raining when I was making a trip to the airport. Lol and now my windshield wiper fluid is constantly on and wipers are intermittent. Lol anywaz.. Offtopic...

But I'll keep testing it for now. And let y'all know how it is..

5/09/2014 9:40 AM  #8

The 600 can work - the throttle response may not be as snappy as a smaller carb but it is not so big that it can't work.  Remember that your best economy will come with close to the best A/F ratio so smaller jets can work against you.  If there is not stumble when you bumped up to the 65's you are on the right track.  The secondary spring discussion also works both ways.  If the spring is too stiff it can prevent or limit the opening of the secondaries leaving some horsepower bottled up.  Once you get it running well there is little you will have to do to the carb in the future.  If you decide to go for a new one, consider Quick Fuel - even their basic model has good tuning options, a better way to adjust the secondaries and a rear metering plate that uses jets instead of a fixed plate.  Not much more than a Holley.

5/09/2014 2:44 PM  #9

yes, you can make any thing run, but will it be running right. I understand the cost issue, ask me how i know. I put in your numbers into the holley website, and put it under the mildly modified catagory, with maximum rpm at 4000 rpm.,  and for optimum performance it came back with #8007, and that was a 390 cfm. And yes, you can tune the heck out of a holley, but this is your best starting point. Dont forget, Shelby put a 725 cfm on the 289!  It ran like stink on the top end, not so much at the lower rpms where most of us live. Holley has all of those weird in between number cfms for a reason, they have been doing this for a long time. Please dont take these suggestions the wrong way, they are only suggestions born from me messing up in the past. I have had these cars for over 40yrs, and have every mistake there is to make in that time frame. This past summer i was able to get a holley 459 cfm that i thought would work well on my 289. No good, too big! so i talked to the holley tech, and he suggested the 390 cfm for my motor ( 68, 289, .030 over, edelbrock intake, 4bbl), and asked him, isnt that kind od small? Nope! I was lucky enough to barter a new one , and he was right! Just some food for thought, have fun with it!

5/09/2014 3:18 PM  #10

It's not just about the size of the carb, but about how it's set up that matters.

A smaller carb often has better response, and atomization which can make for better economy - but not always.  If you are seriously under-carbed, your engine can run into another set of problems including but not limited to bad high-end performance.

The old Autolite 4100s (with the correct venturii) are just about the best 4V carb you could get back in the day for street use and some mild fun.  Some companies offer carbs that work as well, or better, now though.

If you want to drag race, your carburetor has to be set up in an entirely different way, since full-throttle performance is the thing that matters most.  Everything in a full-tilt racing carb is pretty much backward from what you'd choose for street use.

It's all a compromise, unless you go with fuel injection, pretty much.

Last edited by Technomancer (5/09/2014 3:19 PM)

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

5/09/2014 7:48 PM  #11

Too big a carburetor can present numerous problems but especially on a vehicle that's primary existence is only street or highway driving, and little to no track use.

Among those problems, the most detriment to an engine with too big a carburetor is the excessive amount of fuel being dumped into the engine that it can't effectively burn. That added raw fuel washes the cylinder walls and piston rings. This causes the rings not to seat which in turn causes the engine to start burning oil. Excessive fuel running past the rings also mixes with the crankcase oil that strips lubrication from the crank, rod and cam shaft bearings as well as everything else inside the engine that depends on lubrication.

Unless there are a lot of speed parts on the engine and the engine/vehicle will spend most of its time at the track at high RPMs, a 600 CFM carburetor would be overkill for a vehicle of only 302 cubic inches.

What ever time and expense you have into the current carburetor is going to be a small expense compared to the replacement cost of an engine that doesn't live as long a life as it could have otherwise.

5/10/2014 8:24 AM  #12

This is from the holley website.

TUNING:

First, make some notes about carburetor performance as it is in stock condition. Does the engine falter or stumble at wide-open
throttle, anywhere in the rpm range? Can the secondary opening point be distinctly felt?

If there are no flat spots or stumbles, a lighter secondary spring should be installed. Try the accelerations again and if there are
still no flat spots, try a lighter spring yet. When a flat spot is felt, go back up to the next stiffer spring. If the carburetor bogs, out
of the box, note when it bogs. If it is an instantaneous off idle bog, the accelerator pump may be the real problem. A secondary
bog will usually occur in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range. If this is the case, install a heavier diaphragm spring.

The first thing many people do when they first disassemble the diaphragm assembly is throw out the small metal ball that is
contained in the vacuum passage in the lower housing, without really knowing why it is there. At first glance, it looks as if it
would block the flow of air, but a close inspection will reveal a small groove in the seat under the ball. This groove acts as a
restriction, so that the secondaries open in a slow controlled manner.

Removal of the ball will allow the secondaries to more or less flop open and may cause a bog, so unless your driving is
restricted to the track, leave the ball in place.

Some of the newer carburetors replace the ball and seat with a pressed-in brass restriction. Drilling out this restriction will have
the same effect as removing the ball.

In general, heavy cars require stiffer secondary diaphragm springs than light cars. Air cleaner configuration and restriction plays
an important part in spring selection, so be sure to use your air cleaner when evaluating your vehicle’s performance after each
change. An installation with an open element air cleaner will require a weaker spring than one with a restrictive snorkel-type air
cleaner.

Vacuum secondaries are designed to open when the engine is under load. “Winging” the throttle with the transmission in neutral
should result in no secondary movement. If they do open in neutral, the engine will almost surely bog under load. Do not clip a
spring in an effort to make a spring weaker, so the secondaries will open sooner. Strange as it seems, clipping springs actually
increases spring rate. While the spring load as installed will be lower, the spring’s resistance to change in height will be greater,
which means that the secondaries will start to open sooner, but will reach wide-open position later. Regardless of what you hear
do NOT leave the diaphragm spring completely out. Although the link on the left side of the carburetor will force the secondaries
to close, the diaphragm spring ensures complete return to idle giving the engine a consistent idle speed.

If the lightest spring is installed and the secondaries still do not open when all parts are functioning properly, the carburetor is
most likely too big for the engine and forcing the secondaries open by mechanical means will probably slow the car down.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

5/10/2014 4:13 PM  #13

A sure-cure for too big a carb is.....ignition that is spot on
Not a cure butt...really make life ez-ier when carb is max size.
MOST guys with 289/302/5.0 use a 600 cfm carb sooooo....it really ain't THAT much too big!
Get the lighter weight springs installed in the distrib......get a timing tape so you can see whats going on.....and crank that initial timing around until you get 36* of timing by 2000 RPM. THEN.....tighten down the distrib hold down screw and try it out!
Still bogging?!....start playing with the secondary spring to keep those secondarys shut until the engine can use it. Off idle bog?! Mess with the accelarator pump and squirters to solve it there.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/13/2014 1:56 AM  #14

You never did say what rpm range you'll be living in-that has a lot do with it. Keep us posted.

5/13/2014 5:22 PM  #15

I copied this from another post I made on a similar issue:

I would first check to ensure you don't have a vacuum leak.  If that doesn't fix it, I'd look at the power valve in the carb.  The power valve should be closed at idle and then open right off idle.  If your vacuum signal is too low, the power valvue could be opening at idle.  Make sure it's not blown, and  it's the right size.  As I remember, almost all Holley's come stock w/ a 6.5.  If your vacuum at idle is less than 12 inches Hg, then you may need to go to a lower number power valve.  There is an old rule of thumb that if you have less than 12 inches Hg, then whatever value you have, divide that by 2 and that will be the power valve you should have.  For instance, 10 inches of Hg indicates a need for a 5 power valve.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

5/13/2014 7:48 PM  #16

Wow tons of knowledge here .. I have been driving it in rain a lot and seeing the throttle response and stuff, I can say this it has been much crisper . Yes the 390 cfm mentioned above is something it will look into soon. But as far as the money and time I have , I have to keep the wife happy.. That's worth a million dollars lol . :D

I haven't made any changes after the 65 jets and the vaccum setting

Fuel needle is moving slower hahahah. It's no joke. I might be getting to a better A/F mixture

As far as timing. I got the total timing set to 36 mechanically, and then drive it without vaccum. It pinged so without to timing light (deliberately) this time I went with the white out method, and backed if a degree or so at a time till it got well in high rpm high load conditions with no ping. Now with the vaccum back on, I am "shaping" the vaccum advance curve by loosening the vaccum advance spring in the vaccum advance diaphram... And seeing where it'll hit that ping state in load and then I'll back it off. I am half way or may be two turns looser than half way now. That said. I do think after diligent work , ignition timing and curve is coming under control. thanks to people's advice here obviously. I do have a better understanding too

So.. That said now power valve. I'll check my vaccum again. Power valve was good when I was rejetting .. I checked it wasn't leaking, and holley on their website said if you close your idle screws and car doesn't die , means power valve is blown as the fuel is being supplied still. I checked all that, for sure the power valve is closed on idle no question about that. As far as the power valve vaccum rating. Yes if I have 11-11.5Hg vaccum on idle in gear with AC on ideling at 650rpm..  I need a 5.5 rather than a 6.5 (half) .. 6.5 will open sooner.

Ill look for a power valve after I recheck my vaccum. But just letting y'all know, I am heading in the right direction. Yes!!!! It's a bit bigger carb, but I am happy with it right now. (more like can't afford to spend a million bucks on it now .. Get it :D )

But please do not think , that your advice is not useful or absorbed. Please know that I am thankful for your responses and keep it coming

Last edited by Gaba (5/13/2014 7:50 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.