FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2014 6:39 PM  #1

Mini starter or regular starter for a car w headers??

One thing after another....66 coupe, 68-302 w Headman long tube headers, T5...but don't know what year. Turns out the solenoid may not have been bad from overuse....tried to start the car tonight after I had the solenoid replaced and got no engagement! Turns out I must have a short mini starter as fully extended the teeth only go out .75"...flywheel teeth start at almost .75"....so it was barely engaging before. Are there diff year flywheels that change the depth of the teeth? Which starter should I put back in...reg or mini starter?
Thanks 

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

5/13/2014 7:25 PM  #2

Re: Mini starter or regular starter for a car w headers??

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/13/2014 7:31 PM  #3

I have headers on my 302 on a 65 mustang .. And I use normal stock size starter . The starter post that sits facing the headers, needs a little bending on the headers part, good headers will have that shape built in.. But that's it. Nothing else. It's not in the way

Starter not working is also caused by a bad ground cable on the battery ... Corrosion on the terminal, open the big connector, pull it apart, and clean the wiring , and may be re strip it. I changed solenoid, regulator, and starter before finding out that it was the battery terminal all along

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

5/13/2014 8:42 PM  #4

Thanks Sal. either of those 2 would probly work. Gonna stop by the local starter place that R2 the solenoid and see what they can get as I try to buy locally...ok, most of the parts I've bought are from CJ, but want their take on this and maybe they have something on the shelf. They have been really good to me over the years. Gaba, all the wiring is Brand new...I put it together myself a month ago and have been testing it a bit trying to get the car to fire off. Think I told you guys the issues I had on another post.Even the 68 column in a 66 flashers and signals worked 1st time! I measured the starter gear extenstion vs the depth of flywheel teeth and came to the conclusion that the starter was too short from the get go, but had been barely engaging until enough use wore off the 1/16" that was engaging. So another $100 to spend if the starter shop doesn't have a cheaper solution.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.