FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2014 4:54 PM  #1

Decreasing the turning radius on my 65 coupe

Is there any way to decrease the turning radius on the 65 coupes? I have power streeing that won't let the spindles hit the stops on one side and the headers hit the sterring arm off the box on the other side, I can fix the header interferance but what about the power steering? Any set ups that will let this thing turn on less than a country mile? I'm almost 1/4 inch from the stops in either direction.

Yeah, I know, but...

5/17/2014 9:15 PM  #2

Re: Decreasing the turning radius on my 65 coupe

Is it in alignment - not too much toe-in?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

5/17/2014 9:19 PM  #3

What spindles are on the car?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/19/2014 6:14 PM  #4

I had the alignment done to the spec's on this site, it has the stock V8 spindles, C5DA.

Last edited by calistang (5/19/2014 6:15 PM)

Yeah, I know, but...

5/20/2014 5:19 AM  #5

These things turn like barges.  Mine is apart now, but I wonder if it's limited by the box, the stops or both.

John

5/20/2014 8:24 AM  #6

I cannot even get mine to hit the stops. I know on one side it is the headers hitting the steering linkage but the other way it stops a 1/4" from the stops.

Yeah, I know, but...

5/20/2014 8:51 AM  #7

It could be that with the header interference the alignment shop did not do an adquate job of setting up either the pitman arm or tie rod ends based on the true stop to stop of the steering gear.  Without being able to test/verify the side that hits the header, it seems like it would be fairly easy to get it offset to one side.  Correct the header issue and test to see if it is hard against the stops on the opposite side before making any further assumptions.  If it is hard against the stops on the header side, then you can make the necessary adjustments to get everything centered.  If you have 1/4" on each side, at least you know it is symmetric.  With changes that may have occurred in the car's previous life, are you sure that the stops are installed correctly and that they are the correct stops and lastly that some PO didn't bend or modify them for some reason along the way.

Also, make sure that you have the correct pitman arm or on the other hand, with the appropriate steering ram modifications discussed recently on the site perhaps a quick-steer arm would give you more than enough travel.  I don't know what size tires you are running but be careful of unintended consequences.  The tighter you turn, the more likely tires and wheels will hit something if you are running larger than stock wheels and/or tires.

5/20/2014 2:48 PM  #8

Good thoughts, I did make sure the stops are correct and they look stock, no customafacations. I'll fix the one side like to said and see if that helps, it almost feels ,looks like the power sterring ram is preventing the full turn to the left. I got the steering from chock-o so I believe it is right. I stood there and watched the  guy align the car, he is an old school mustang guy too so I think that is correct.  

Yeah, I know, but...

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.