FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2014 7:38 PM  #1

interior lights getting brighter, darker when motor is running...

I have a '65 fastback with a 289 2 barrel a/t... drivetrain is all original as is wiring harness.  When the car is started and gets warm, the interior lights often get brighter and dimmer when the car is idling.  When driving the car the same thing happens, whether accelerating or standing still... Voltage regulator is new, didn't help the issue, battery is new, alternator fairly new... the cycle of bright to dim is pretty regular and doesn't change under acceleration, or when revving motor in park or neutral... Any ideas what's causing this or how to fix this issue? Thanks!

5/19/2014 7:41 PM  #2

Re: interior lights getting brighter, darker when motor is running...

one suggestion, check ALL your grounds.  Like battery to engine, engine to body.  Poor grounding can cause some strange things

5/19/2014 9:43 PM  #3

Mine did that exact same thing a few years ago.  I found a bad place in the big wire from the alternator to the solenoid harness.  Had to untape the harness to find it.  I think it was the big yellow wire but has been many years.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/20/2014 6:22 AM  #4

Just elaborating on what Steve and Terry were saying. You can measure across the battery and from the alt. out put and see if the voltage is varing. This may tell if one of the main grounds have a bad connection. Check voltage at the fuse block to ground. Check fuses that feed the lghts, is it tight fit in the fuse holder. What lights are actually dimming, dash dome?, I think the dash lights are connected to the dimmer on the head light switch. Turn the dimmer back and forth, may help clean it up. Switch may be going bad.

Last edited by wsinsle (5/21/2014 4:46 AM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/20/2014 7:50 PM  #5

All good suggestions to get me started... and in response to wsinsle, all the interior lights seem to get brighter/dimmer simultaneously... the dome, dash cluster lights, footwell lights under the dash and rear interior lights in the quarter sail panel trim area... 

5/20/2014 7:56 PM  #6

sure sounds like the dimmer switch. did you crank it back and forth to see if it helped any?

5/20/2014 8:26 PM  #7

Pony1965 wrote:

I have a '65 fastback with a 289 2 barrel a/t... drivetrain is all original as is wiring harness.  When the car is started and gets warm, the interior lights often get brighter and dimmer when the car is idling.  When driving the car the same thing happens, whether accelerating or standing still... Voltage regulator is new, didn't help the issue, battery is new, alternator fairly new... the cycle of bright to dim is pretty regular and doesn't change under acceleration, or when revving motor in park or neutral... Any ideas what's causing this or how to fix this issue? Thanks!

"alternator fairly new"........    sounds like a diode going bad in the alternator.   Take alt to autozone and have them test it for free.

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

5/20/2014 9:26 PM  #8

That seems to indicate to me that either your alternator is going south or you have a bad connection.   Can you place a volt meter across your battery at idle and when the engine is at about 2000 rpms and tell us the readings?  You should have at least 13.5 volts.  Do you have the main ground from your engine to the firewall hooked up? 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.