FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2014 3:25 PM  #1

Axle id help needed

I have another thread going and hope nobody minds but i wanted to try to get help identifying this axle.
I will state what I thnk I have for house etc.
From what I read and see it is 57 ford big car 9" housing which is 57-1/4" measured from inside of the housing flange to inside of opposite flange .It takes the small bearing which are these dimensions. IDODWidthSmall Brg1.378"2.835"0.8449"It also has the 3/8' holes in the flangette and the end of the housing to hold the axle in place.
It has the 2" band down the back of the housing, no dimples and the drain is in the bottom.I never measured the spring purchases lately to see how far they are apart.
Someone else installed this diff and axle and I cannot reach them.
My issue is i have seen several 57 ford axles yesterday and have one of the axles here to know my axle is not the same and i would like to get a mate to the black one in the pics.The black one has a larger higher center prodrusion in the center.The flange that holds the studs is larger dia.Mine has more holes in the flange for some reason and the bearing offset from the front of the flange that the wheel sets on to the outer side of the bearing is about 1/4" closer to the pline end of the axle than the rusty one from the 57 ford big car.I am really puzzled.

5/26/2014 3:52 PM  #2

Re: Axle id help needed

The flat band up the center of the housing and no dimples indicates a 1957 model 9-inch housing. If it's mounted under the Mustang, then the spring perches would be on 43-inch centers.

The axle on the right would be the stock axle for the '57 rear end. The black one on the left is from some other Ford from at least a 1974 or later vehicle (probably from an 8-inch rear). The center register (the round protrusion in the center of the axle flange) is larger in diameter on '74 and later Ford 8 and 9-inch reads than on previous models.

I see you have Lincoln Mk VII rear discs --although those are definitely not my conversion brackets. With your current axles, you're going to have a mismatch when you go to put the rotors on. The stock '57 axle is going to require a rotor centering ring to take up the gap between the I.D. of the center hole in the rotor to the O.D. of the center register of the axle.

If you can find a matching axle ('74-up) to replace the '57 axle with, you won't need any rotor centering rings.

Last edited by ultrastang (5/26/2014 4:54 PM)

5/26/2014 4:46 PM  #3

ok, thanks very much here is a pic of the housing and the twisted axle spline and i think the axle is also bent between the axle falnge and the axle bearing.It had quite a wobble to it.

5/26/2014 4:53 PM  #4

Why is the centering ring needed since the shoulder on the wheel studs seem to hold the rotor from moving side to side and once the rotor and then wheel adapter are installed i can not see how anything could move.I know that the lady who seemed very knowleagable about the spacers and hubcentric and lug centric isues said the spacer did not rely on the center register for strength or support.Not trying to contradict, just trying to lear and sort things out.

Would you have any idea where to even start to look for an axle or specs for the 74 model ford and up ?THANK you Very Much

6/04/2014 6:58 PM  #5

I think the axle i had in my car is possibly a 31 spline axle that was longer than needed and  from a newer car than mine that has been cut/turned down and then re-splined.I say this because of the machining marks on the end of the axle and the axle is not tapered like other 28 spline i have seen and the larger register for the brakes that steve has mentioned.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.