FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2014 1:13 PM  #1

granada spindles, but granada tie rods don't fit.

o.k. this is odd. when i first got this kit about 15 years ago (yeah this project has been on the back burner that long) i thought it was odd that my stock 6 cyl. tie rods bolted right up to it. i was thinking that they would be too small for the hole in the spindle. fast forward to now. i just got a V8 manual steering kit and ordered sme granada tie rods from my local Napa. as soom as we looked at the granada tie rods, we knew something was up. they will not go into the hole in the spindle at all!

all this time i was thinking that the mustang and granada had the same size tie rod (with the granada being lower) and that the spacer Steve sells was just to lower the mustang tie rod so it would replicate it's original angle with the mustang spindle. (does that make sense?)

now what have i got on my hands? granada spindles that were welded up and re-machined for mustang tie rods? or am i completely missing something obvious here?

thanks in advance for your help.

p.s. this is on a 65 coupe. manual steering.

Last edited by R5CYA (6/05/2014 1:16 PM)

6/05/2014 2:28 PM  #2

Re: granada spindles, but granada tie rods don't fit.

How about a pic or two?   clean off the top and bottom of the spindle arm real good.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/05/2014 3:21 PM  #3

if i thought it would help, i would. not really set up for doing pics and transfering to the computer though. if there's something in particular you want me to look for, let me know. i'm about to put it all together with the mustang tie rods. it's the only way this can go back together without a machinist working on the spindles.
these spindles have to have been modified, i guess.

Last edited by R5CYA (6/05/2014 3:22 PM)

6/05/2014 4:03 PM  #4

Are you sure they are Granada spindles?  68-73 Mustang spindles also work with Granada brackets and calipers and have a much smaller tie rod than Granada.

The spacer is to make a small tie rod fit into a larger hole.  It does not reposition the tie rod in any way.  I do not support any theories that give the tie rod stud a longer lever arm that can lead to breaking it off.

Look on the back side of the spindle, on the vertical part facing the engine between the two ball joints.  Ther will be a number cast onto the spindle vertical part.  Use some sandpaper or a file to clean it up so you can read the numbr and then report it here.

However challenged you may be at taking pictures and saving them to your computer and then using the tinypics software available at the lower right hand corner of the text box to transfer them to the forum, it sure would help if you could take some pictures of the spindles and brakes.  For all I know, they may not even be Granada brakes at all, and any suggestion that anyone could make is merely a shot in the dark.

Last edited by MustangSteve (6/05/2014 4:05 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/05/2014 9:11 PM  #5

they were advertised as a granada conversion when i bought them way back when. they have a single piston caliper. i will get a few pics and part numbers for you. have you ever heard of anyone selling granada conversion with the hole in the spindle re-done to mustang specs?

p.s. to make it more interesting, i will not be removing any material from the adjuster or the tie rods. i have plenty of adjustment left with the toe about 0. makes me think the spindles have been modified in that area as well.

6/09/2014 5:43 PM  #6

Do those spindles have CSRP cast into the side?  Or some other number?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.