FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2014 9:07 PM  #1

Always changing 65 fastback

Tinkered with various Mustangs before this one, all the way back to High School when I had a 65 Coupe.  I bought this fastback in 1999 in Seguin, Tx and it seems like every year has been a project.  A factory T code, it's was partially modded (note 4 lug front/5 lug back).  this was the car when I brought it home in Aug99.

Over the years, lots of mods - new suspension, steering, 4 wheel disc brakes, interior, different wheels/tires, blah blah blah...until I got to this look below that I liked and stayed with for several years.  Car shown below has shelby drop, 620 coils, KYBs, 215/55-16s on 16x7 rims.  This was at a Warbirds car show in Lancaster with Steve, Tim, et, al.

Replaced first motor with this one 302.  Ran fine but I could never get the 600 holley to work right and it always reaked of gas. Starting to hide the wiring here. Note the cable clutch - a prototype built in MustangSteve's Carrolton garage. Worked great, I just couldn't keep the cable out of the headers.

Ended up with this paint scheme about 5 years ago.  Gets a lot of attention at open shows, lots of snubs tho from Mustangers.  Chicks dig it tho.

More mods followed.  i've really enjoyed the EFI swap and the tinkering to clean up the engine bay with minimal wiring, custom cold air, braces, etc...  General configuration of car today is 92 EFI 5.0, T-5 trans with 3.55 - 8" rear.  Granada Front/Ultrastang back disc brakes.  Custom wiring, custom braces, custom hydraulic clutch, custom gages, relocated battery, subframes, procar elites, different MC, different alternator, ...blah blah.  

You can read the whole story here:  www.midnightdsigns.com/james

Driving through Beautiful Central Texas.....

Let's throw in a few more odds and ends -  View from the bottom - (dirty differential)

4 wheel disc MC and custom hydraulic clutch MC

Explaining Dukes of Hazzard trajectory....

Fresh air to MAF

Waxahachie Car Show with Steve and the Gang

Inside - with dirty carpet. Autometer Gages, yes, a cut dash with DIN radio, T5 w/Hurst Shifter, ProCar Elite buckets

Great Annual Mustang Show in Austin (MOCA)

Hooter's show

140A Alt Addition

Trunk Battery/Solenoid wiring

Current Home

Last edited by JamesW (4/15/2014 9:45 PM)

4/14/2014 3:39 PM  #2

Re: Always changing 65 fastback

I've always liked that color combo. Its timeless.
Beautiful car. Thanks for sharing...

4/15/2014 8:23 PM  #3

Looking good! Your car was my inspiration for going EFI

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

4/28/2014 4:33 PM  #4

Love the car! One thought: Has the sharp elbow of the fabbed air intake caused you any issues with the idle?

4/28/2014 5:33 PM  #5

anthonydalrymple wrote:

Love the car! One thought: Has the sharp elbow of the fabbed air intake caused you any issues with the idle?

none that i can tell.  in fact the only real issue I've had is with too much air being ingested.  The air box is open to the front grill, and I had to place a partial restrictor over it to deflect the flow.  On initial test drives, the forced air would cause the motor to misfire at over 50 mph.  Once restricted, it worked fine.

Last edited by JamesW (4/28/2014 5:33 PM)

4/29/2014 7:28 AM  #6

Thanks for the reply & yes; the turbulent air would create an issue. Us'n foxbody mustang owner's run into "fan wash" issues when we install powerful mark 8 electric fans & have an open conical air filter nearby.... ;)

6/30/2014 10:16 AM  #7

Nice clean looking car.
The picture of the disc-disc MC installed is very helpfull, just ordered the exact same with the engine side brakelines.

Mitch

6/30/2014 6:14 PM  #8

Love the way the car looks. Very clean and good craftsmanship. I wouldn't change a thing.

6/30/2014 9:11 PM  #9

thanks.  How about a few more pics then...

Driving through the northern edge of the Hill Country

EFI Harness wiring after all extraneous wire was removed.

Low/High Pressure fuel pump setup

Underneath the airbox (old battery location) at core support - Fan, Horn, and secondary starter relay

Gratuitous homebuilt workbench photo - 

Last edited by JamesW (6/30/2014 9:13 PM)

11/24/2014 9:12 PM  #10

James,
I never tire of looking at your car . Most of the things I have done to my 66 came from your web site. Thanks for the inspiration.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.