FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2014 7:42 PM  #1

fuel pump problem

I am the proud owner of a 65 fastback.Current updates are 1993 motor fuel injected T5 tranny with mustang steve clutch pedal assembly and clutch cable conversion, MS 4 wheel disc brake conversion.My question is reguarding the fuel pump. I am currently using a inline 255 lph fuel pump mounted directly in front of the gas tank to the trunk floor, can runs fine until it sits for a couple of days then I have to re prime the pump. Do they make a pump I could use to stop this from happening or do I need to get a bracket that will lower the pump to prevent this from happening. This car is a work in progress in hopes to finish sometime this summer. thanks

7/08/2014 9:11 PM  #2

Re: fuel pump problem

I just got through installing an aeromotive phantom 200 pump in my tank.  I had tried using an inline pump with zero success.  This seems to be the answer to keeping the pump cool and with a good supply of gas.  The HP pumps are good at pumping but have problems trying to pull gas out of the tank.  My last attempt at the iline pump had a bracket holding the pump at a lower level than the tank.  Seemed to work OK.

I am fighting an intermittent problem with fuel pressure, and it has done same with both pumps so it might be a computer or sensor flaw,  For all the money I have spent on EFI the phantom seems to be the way to go.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/09/2014 6:25 AM  #3

I just read up on this and it looks great, where did you cut hole to add this and do you still use the stock sending unit for the fuel gauge. Thanks

7/09/2014 6:30 PM  #4

Yes, using stock fuel level sender.   Installed the pump on passenger corner as far forward as possible.  I know this contradicts drag racer mentality, but that is the deepest part of the tank other than right in the center, and the fuel level float is right in the center.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/14/2014 10:41 AM  #5

onenicefastback wrote:

I am the proud owner of a 65 fastback.Current updates are 1993 motor fuel injected T5 tranny with mustang steve clutch pedal assembly and clutch cable conversion, MS 4 wheel disc brake conversion.My question is reguarding the fuel pump. I am currently using a inline 255 lph fuel pump mounted directly in front of the gas tank to the trunk floor, can runs fine until it sits for a couple of days then I have to re prime the pump. Do they make a pump I could use to stop this from happening or do I need to get a bracket that will lower the pump to prevent this from happening. This car is a work in progress in hopes to finish sometime this summer. thanks

i'm having the same problem with my set up was thinking about using what (tanks inc ) has

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.