FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2014 7:43 PM  #1

Sorta a idea on big brakes small 15" wheels

So I was helping my fellow car nut friend with his 72 thunderbird. Now I know back in the day on the boss stangs and others people used bigger lincoln and similar calipers and rotors and a made a connecting bracket to pretty much mesh it together when they were doing track racing.  Well I decided to look at the rotos specs on my buddies lincoln and it says it's a 11.72 OD and 11.19 nom thick. What I was thinking about doing is if I decide to ever put on a styled steel wheels on my Stang is use that rotor and my already purchased 2013 gt brake calipers with the 72 rotors sense the two cars have almost identical nom specs. After all that being said I think it'd be easy to attach theses guys on my car sense I have a set of old kh caliper mounting brackets that I was given a while ago. All I'd need is some 3/8" steel plate cut and some holes drilled connect it all together and I'd have a 12" brake set up inside my 15"ers.

7/12/2014 1:20 PM  #2

Re: Sorta a idea on big brakes small 15" wheels

I have 12.2's on my 16" wheels, so 11.72's might just fit on your 15"s.  It will be very tight though.  I have about 1/16" clearence between the caliper and the inner diameter of the wheel.  They are Willwoods by the way.

Your caliper design is the critical factor.  A little bump here or there makes a big difference.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

7/12/2014 2:07 PM  #3

Very true.  I slid my gt calipers on my buddies lincoln rotor and then bolted the wheel on so I know it will clear my 15s I have now. So hopefully the styled steel wheels have the same id.  The only reason I'm farting with this idea is cause I'm not sure right now if I want to run 17s or not. But thought is share the info

7/14/2014 2:38 PM  #4

You need to consider clamping force capabilities, piston sizes etc before you go mismatching parts.  Consider this comparison.  Two systems both using exact same caliper and master cylinder.  One has 11" rotor and one has 13" rotor.  The caliper on the 13" rotor takes less pedal effort and hydraulic pressure to exert the same braking forces due to the longer lever arm created by the larger caliper.  The 11" rotor will make that same caliper require alot more force on the pedal to achieve the same amount of braking, but guess what... That extra force required to power the caliper will also cause the caliper to try to lock up the brakes quicker.

I would try to stick with proven stuff, but let us know how it works out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/14/2014 5:23 PM  #5

Thanks MS I thought I'd throw the idea out sense I found out they'd mesh okay theoretically but yes I didn't put into factor what you said so maybe they won't work as good.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.