FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2014 3:33 PM  #1

How hot is too hot for MSD control box?

I just recently put a Digital MSD 6 A control box along with the Blaster II coil in my '66 and using the Duraspark dist.  After driving around for a while, I stopped and felt the box, which is located on the driver side inner fender where the original wiper fluid bag would be. I can rest my hand on it most of the time but sometimes not for to long. Temp gun shows around 120 + or -. I think I am geting some radiator heat blown on it from the fan also. If those of you who have the MSD box would feel it after driving around to see how hot it feels and post here, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by T. McG/393 (7/13/2014 10:43 AM)

Hosted Mustang Steve Birthday Bash 2009        http://www.tm66mustang.com

7/13/2014 7:10 PM  #2

Re: How hot is too hot for MSD control box?

I have the same basic setup, although I have an MSD distributor.  The mounrting for the 6A box is the same location you indicated.  I checked today after a drive and the box was 140F using a Extech Infrared IR201 instrument.  Engine temp indicated around 190F at thermostat housing, so I believe this reading to accurate.
I'm not sure what the MSD specs are, but now it is something to check.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/13/2014 8:29 PM  #3

Thanks Bob. I did find this info on a MSD ignition page:              ( MSD Ignition Controls are designed to withstand underhood
temperatures but should be mounted away from direct
engine heat sources such as headers or manifolds. The
ignition control can be mounted in most positions except
upside down. Mounting the unit in an enclosed area such
as the glovebox is not recommended. When running, the
housing of the MSD will be hot to the touch.)

7/13/2014 8:32 PM  #4

I checked mine after I drove 55 miles to the show and it wasn't overly hot.  Car had been off for 10 or 15 minutes.  It is mounted same place as yours!

7/13/2014 9:00 PM  #5

I had my Crane CD unit on that apron also and it got very hot as well. I moved it inside the vehicle where the center speaker was under the dash. It seems to run a lot cooler even though it is in a confined space.
 The Crane specs are that it draws up to 9 amps so I suspect it generates a lot of heat on its own, ergo the cooling fins incorporated in the housings extrusion.
 My guess is that the MSD is similar.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/13/2014 9:05 PM  #6

Thanks terry.  By "not overly hot", did you mean you could hold your hand on it for atleast 10 seconds or more?

7/14/2014 12:30 AM  #7

I have had the MSD 6A box,  Blaster II coil, and MSD distributor for several years, and the box is mounted in the same exact location. I have only had one issue with that setup and that was failure of the pulse coil in the distributor. Not any problems with the box or the coil.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/14/2014 1:59 PM  #8

My 6A is mounted in the glove box, but with the box liner removed so it can get SOME air flow.  It gets pretty darn hot but I have not measured it.  I figure it is cooler in there next to the AC unit than it was when I had it mounted under the battery tray along the frame rail.  Still working!  More than I can say for the Atomic EFI!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/14/2014 5:30 PM  #9

Ron68 - interesting, my box failed and was repaired by MSD for a nominal cost (less than $50), the pulse coil had also failed and needed replacement.  I found the pulse coil failure after the box had been repaired and the system still didn't function.  Replaced the pulse coil, no problems since.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/14/2014 8:23 PM  #10

I have the Hyfire Mallery Box.  Back about 5 years ago my upper hose blew off and the water shorted out my box.   So Im a little afraid to drive mine if its raining out for fear of shorting the box out.  If I ever rewire again I think Im going to mount mine inside the car under the firewall.

Steve69

7/15/2014 8:31 PM  #11

Thanks for all the replies guys, maybe I am worrying about nothing.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.