FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2014 4:39 PM  #1

MS power brake install

67 with Granada disk MS Power brake and cable cluch kit. Tryed to rebuild the Granada proportioning valve but never could not get the pistion out ,so bought a willwood valve and installed it and the booster today. tryed to install the master cylinder, a power brake granada unit but it would not fit between the booster and shock tower . Which master cylinder will fit . I have done this swap several times but with out power useing the Granada MC and it worked well. Also painted the motor was torn between ford blue and body color RED . I liked some of the Chip Foose builds useing body color so decided to try it. Got to admit it looks good on the stand and the clear coat makes the motor easy to clean. will post pictures tomorrow.

6/22/2014 4:53 PM  #2

Re: MS power brake install

There are a number of MCs that will work and I'm sure other will respond but I'm using a 67 unit I got with the mod parts and instructions from MS five or six years ago.  Works just fine.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/23/2014 10:23 AM  #3

The 67 kit is alot different than the 65/66 kits.  The difference is the 67 kits are built using factory original parts so everything will fit right as it did from the factory.  The problem is there was always a real tight fit between master cylinder and shock tower on 67/68 Mustangs with factory power brakes.

If you will use the 67-70 power disc brake master cylinder, you should be able to get it in there.  It will be TIGHT and might require you to loosen the booster studs so the booster can be angled towards the engine slightly to get the studs into the mc.

A possible cause for interference is if the lower booster studs are overtightened, collapsing the booster stamped steel plate and the firewall into the plate cavity.  That causes the booster to angle downward a little, pointing it towards the wider part of the shock tower, lessening the available room.  If that has happened, it will need to be corrected.  Sometimes tightening the upper studs will even it out, but repairing any damage from overtightening is the cure.  The booster studs are attached with self locking nuts and they only need to be tight enough to keep the booster from moving around.  They are in tension when the brakes are applied.  Do not overtighten them.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/23/2014 9:17 PM  #4

Steve G.  I was able to put a 2000 v6 mustang master cyl. In my 67.  I must admit it was a tight fit but its in there. I also used a wilwood proportioning valve.  The car is still at the shop, so I can't post any pics right now.

7/16/2014 7:27 AM  #5

Bough the 67 MC It was idenical to the Granada MC in size. Cut about 3/8" off each booster stud and got it installed, plumbed and bled

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.