FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2014 9:59 AM  #1

new duraspark wires don't match up with existing plug.

I bought a new module for my 1978 f-150 and the red and white wires don't match up in the plug (red-white white-red). Do I need to rewire this so it matches up (red-red white-white)? Or can I just plug it in and it will work the same as the old one?

7/16/2014 6:10 PM  #2

Re: new duraspark wires don't match up with existing plug.

cmc at the top of the page there is a link to dura spark wiring. To me it looks like you would not want to have these wires reversed. Keep red to red and white to white. I never messed with one of these so you should take a look at the link and see what you think.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/16/2014 6:33 PM  #3

What color is the plastic on the module?  Vs. What color is the exsisting module you are replacing.   I havent messed with those in a while, but Im vaguely remembering in their heyday there were 3 or 4 different colored modules,  I  I know the wiring was different on them.  

The main one. and common one that is mainly used is blue.   I think there was a brown and a red, and maybe a yellow and white.   I think the brown and blue have two wires that are inverted.  

I will research it.  Always good to refresh the memory

Last edited by Greg B (7/16/2014 6:49 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

7/16/2014 7:38 PM  #4

Is this a replacement for an existing module?  The plug's red and white wires do switch places on some of the plugs for duraspark distributors and modules.

If your truck had a blue strain relief module, it needs to be replaced with a blue one.  If it was brown, you need a module with the brown strain relief.

If you are wiring from scratch, make sure the white wire from the module only gets 12 volts while cranking.  The red wire should get 12 volts during run.  No matter what the color of the wires are on the vehicle, the ones on the module are you what you need to be sure of.  Just use a voltmeter to determine if the vehicle's wires give you the voltage you need at the correct time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/17/2014 7:26 AM  #5

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what color the old one was because it didn't have one when I got it. When I got the truck it came with this new one in the box. apparently it is not the correct one. but since it is a brand new one and I don't have a reciept  Im going to pull the wires out of the existing plug (truck side) and put them back in so that red-red and white-white. I figure it would be easier to do it at the plug then try to rerun the wires. Unless someone thinks there is a better way.

7/17/2014 9:34 AM  #6

Hold on.   Your best bet is to trace the wires out first.   Last night I found a thread on Ford Muscle that actually had a picture of the red going to white at the plug.  But I cant seem to find it again this morning to paste.     

I did look at advance and it shows two different modules, The blue one and the three plug one for high altitude compensation vehicles.  

The red wire should go to the ignition, and the white wire will go to a place that only gets power while its cranking.   If you plug it in as/is it is it will not hurt anything, It will just not fire.   I think Id actually try that first.    Chances are, its just one of the vehicles that reverses the wire color at the plug.   Like that thread said last night,  I bet that has thrown a wrench in a lot of diagnosis problems over the years....

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.