FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2014 8:18 PM  #1

How do you replace front wheel bearing?

My right front wheel bearing went out today on my way home from work. I pulled the drum off to see where the noise was coming from. The inner bearing was frozen. All the grease was inside the hub and none on the bearing. I attempted a quick fix witha new set of Chinese bearings.
1966 Mustang 289, manual drum brakes.
Is the inner bearing race pressed in?
I removed the old one with a screw driver and hammer.
How do you get the new one pressed in far enough without using a press?
I was unable to get the inner bearing assembly in far enough to get the seal into place.
How is the best way to remove the bearing race?
The outer race is still in the hub.
New bearings come with new race and it is not recomended to use the old race on a new bearing.
I plan on switching to disc brakes in a few months, I just need to get this fixed. This is my daily driver. I got to catch a ride to work tomorrow.

Last edited by My66stang (7/15/2014 8:18 PM)

7/15/2014 8:58 PM  #2

Re: How do you replace front wheel bearing?

You remove the race by tapping it out from the opposite side of the hub, using a drift punch.  There is usually a small slot in the hub shoulder so you can get the punch started.

Use the old outer race as a tool to hammer carefully on the new race so you can get it in the hub until it bottoms on the shoulder.  WEAR EYE PROTECTION.  The hardened races can send pieces of metal out faster than you can see them if they break.

Of course, there are bearing race installation tools available that are inexpensive.  Lisle makes a pretty good one that I have been using for 35 years.  Sometimes you get lucky and a large socket will fit the race.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/15/2014 9:12 PM  #3

If you use the old race as a tool between the hammer and the new race, be sure you have the fat side of the old race against the thin side of the new race.  To fully seat the new race, the old race will have to be driven into the hub along with the new one.  If you don't have the fat side against the new race you'll have a tough time tapping the old race out with a drift once the new race is seated.

If you spend a little time grinding the OD of the old race so it isn't a press fit in the hub any longer, you'll have a race seating tool that works just fine.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/16/2014 4:42 PM  #4

I got it fixed!
I took the hub and bearings to "Sunstate Mustang Supply" in Clearwater, FL. The owner, "Sherman" installed both bearings and races for me for free. He even loaded the bearings with grease. Great place and a great friend! It took him less than 5 minutes. The hub and wheel went back on with no problems.
Thanks.....

7/16/2014 5:30 PM  #5

My66stang wrote:

I got it fixed!
I took the hub and bearings to "Sunstate Mustang Supply" in Clearwater, FL. The owner, "Sherman" installed both bearings and races for me for free. He even loaded the bearings with grease. Great place and a great friend! It took him less than 5 minutes. The hub and wheel went back on with no problems.
Thanks.....

How did you tighten the bearing nut...you should PRE LOAD, then back off slightly....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

7/17/2014 4:52 PM  #6

I tightened the nut down with a giant crescent wrench until the wheel would not roll. Then I backed off until the wheel rolled smoothly. I plan on checking it again this weekend to see if there is any loose play.
I will also take off the other front wheel and re-pack the bearings with some fresh grease. I eed brake shoes! I might as well replace them while I am at it! Weekend project.

7/17/2014 5:42 PM  #7

M66, I don't know what your skill level is, so please don't take offense.  Many of the DIY guys I have seen pack wheel bearings with grease have done it wrong.  You have to actually "PACK" the grease into the bearing.  Watch this video:  [url=https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AqPX6tMR1ePdzSqNPdcK.w6bvZx4?p=proper+way+to+pack+wheel+bearings&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1If grease is just wiped on the surface of the bearing, it will fail in short order.  In addition to what the video shows, wipe a liberal amount of grease arount the OD (outside diameter) of the bearing, and onto the race in the hub.  No need to fill the whole hub with grease.Hope this is helpful.]https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AqPX6tMR1ePdzSqNPdcK.w6bvZx4?p=proper+way+to+pack+wheel+bearings&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1

If grease is just wiped on the surface of the bearing, it will fail in short order.  In addition to what the video shows, wipe a liberal amount of grease arount the OD (outside diameter) of the bearing, and onto the race in the hub.  No need to fill the whole hub with grease.
Hope this is helpful.[/url]

7/17/2014 6:02 PM  #8

My66stang wrote:

I tightened the nut down with a giant crescent wrench until the wheel would not roll. Then I backed off until the wheel rolled smoothly. I plan on checking it again this weekend to see if there is any loose play.
I will also take off the other front wheel and re-pack the bearings with some fresh grease. I eed brake shoes! I might as well replace them while I am at it! Weekend project.

Only tighten the nut till you feel some drag/resistance then back off slightly.... insert cotter pin...wiggle wheel in a couple different directions to be sure bearing is not loose....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.