FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2014 6:02 PM  #1

ALUMINUM RADIATOR RECOMENDATION

1969 Mach 1, 351 windsor with factory A/C. I purchased a Champion aluminum radiator and two 11" Spal elecrtic fans and shroud about 2 years ago. In the begining it worked fine but as time went on the temp increased until the other night the temp reached 210 with out the air on. I finally got around to taking it apart and found some of the tubes blocked or partially blocked and that was just what I could see through the filler neck. I removed the thermostat and check it with a heat gun and it operated normally. I back- flushed the system the coolant was clean with no debri or sediment. I talked to Champion and they said I should have used distilled water with the coolant. The size of the tubes in the Champion were about half the size of the tubes in the OE 3 row radiator. I started looking for a new aluminum radiator and reading the reviews. The more I read the more undeceided I become. Can anybody recomend a good brand.

IF IT'S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD

7/16/2014 6:48 PM  #2

Re: ALUMINUM RADIATOR RECOMENDATION

I have always wondered about the cooling quality of radiators. I too have a cheap Champion radiator that I bought for $150.00. If you look at the AFCO or Griffin radiators they are about $600.00. There has got to be a difference.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

7/16/2014 7:46 PM  #3

Mine came from Virginia Mustang. It is a 2 row Aluminum and does a great job cooling my 65 with a 302 HO. I don not have A/C and am running a 6 blade fan with shround.
My car had a 289 bored 30 over and stock radiator.  it would get so hot it would boil the gas out of the carb.  That's scary!  I changed the radiator and never had any more problems.  I later changed to this 302 HO and it runs the same.  This past Sunday I drove to a car show with outside temps around 90 to 95 and I never saw it over 190. I didn't check it after I shut it off at the show, I just don't have to worry about it so don't pay it a lot of attention

7/16/2014 9:13 PM  #4

The ones from Virginia Mustang are the same ones I used to sell and are a quality product.  I opted for a Griffin perfect fit 24" from a 70 in my 66 with the 427.  Cools it just fine.  I got the thicker one with two rows of 1-1/4" deep tubes rather than the basic one that has two rows of 1" tubes.

On a 70, it is important to get one that has the exact same tank shape as the original so it fits with the original brackets.  My personal opinion is the ones with the squared off fabricated tank with the welded seams are not aesthetically correct and detract from the car. But that is just my opinion.  Some like that look.  I prefer to have the stock rubber mounts and the original shape tank is a must for that.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/17/2014 4:46 AM  #5

I talked to the people at Griffin they have a direct fit like yours for my car but when you start looking at reviews you seem to find bad about almost every brand. My radiator is a saddle mount also. The top braket on yours is it aluminum? Where is your over flow tank?

7/17/2014 2:16 PM  #6

My aluminum radiator in the '70 Mustang is a direct fit from DeWitts, they come with both 1" and 1-1/4" tube size.
Nice welds, strong quality and if you do paint it black it kinda looks stock OEM.
And above all, lifetime warranty and Made in Michigan, not in asia.
http://www.dewitts.com/

The Top Bracket in Steve's picture is the stainless steel one.

7/17/2014 7:02 PM  #7

I used a 24 inch Champion with three row tubes, saddle mounted with the OE type stainless top caps.
 The Champ seems to well constructed ,all tig welded and very sturdy.
 I have heard that the cores are all made by the same manufacturer but the tanks are from whoever puts their name on them.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/17/2014 9:25 PM  #8

I was just about to buy a 24 inch champion. Glad u posted the info. I purchased a direct fit Griffin for my 66. It is the 16 inch extra thick model. In 90degree weather my car still gets warm sitting at stop lights with the a/c on. Running down the road it cools fine.
Paid about 600 bucks for it and I am not too happy.
It you do get one for sure get the 24 inch.
good luck.

7/17/2014 10:10 PM  #9

I stuffed the Champion 4 row in mine. Tight tight squeeze on a 65.

Rudi what brand radiator hoses are you using?

7/17/2014 10:38 PM  #10

marsfl1 wrote:

I talked to the people at Griffin they have a direct fit like yours for my car but when you start looking at reviews you seem to find bad about almost every brand. My radiator is a saddle mount also. The top braket on yours is it aluminum? Where is your over flow tank?

My top bracket is an original 67 bracket, painted silver to match the radiator.   I do not believe in nor need overflow tanks on classic Mustangs.  Mine never loses any water.  Most won't lose any if they are not overfilled.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/18/2014 5:59 AM  #11

I have the same radiator as Rudi and the tubes are smaller than my OE 3 row brass radiator that was where the problem came from. The tubes in Griffin and Dewitt and others are much larger 1" to 1 1/4".
I haven't made my final decision but it's between Griffin and Dewitt and a new Edelbrock water pump.

7/18/2014 9:52 AM  #12

I have a Rad like Rudi. From a statement Steve once made about the water weight in the Rad and vibration this is what I come up with. Bolted 2 1" aluminum angles to the angled supports in front of the car. I was looking from some rubber to put in the aluminum angle and came across some of those thick rubber hold down straps with hooks. Got some long ones and cut them to size to go across the bottom and sides. If you look up at the side of the pic of Rudi's Rad (sounds like a name for the car) there is tabs with a hole for mounting. I drilled a hole in the Rad support in line with that hole. Then used a long bolt, some washers, rubber groumets, spacer and nuts to mount the Rad to the Rad support.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.