FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2014 2:00 PM  #1

New Member! 67 Fairlane!

Now guys, i am sure you are all wondering what am i doing on here asking questions, but i figured i need to ask somewhere, i cannot get any answers on any fourms, seeing as there arent many on fairlanes,
so my BIG question is this, 
T5 SWAP MY CAR!
i had a 425 wheel horse 92 mustang with 49 orig k on it absolutly my baby, i was hit by a drunk driver and car was toatled, , i bought car back and with the inshurance money bought a 1967 fairlane 500 , the cleanest one i could find near me! 
i have the 306 and my t5 i want to put in it  
curren tly my car has a 302 and 3 speed on the floor,
i am wondering if the t5 swap parts for the 60's mustangs are the same,
also i want to do a disc brake conversion along with power booster,
i am not afraid to spend alitle money seeing as i love to drive my cars dont sit in a garage,! so if anybody has any info on this please post back or email me!
duvaltom@yahoo.com!

7/08/2014 3:26 PM  #2

Re: New Member! 67 Fairlane!

Welcome to the best place around.  But man, is this ever weird.  I am putting our 66 Mustang back together after metal, paint, and whole raft of other mods.  And, I have pretty much talked myself out of moving on to the next project when the Mustang is finished.  You see, I have 3.5 '67 Fairlaine two-door hardtops and a truck load of mechnical parts I've been gathering for the build.

My plan was a strong 302 or 331 (new block in hand) with a T5 (TZ, 5.0 bell housing, King Cobra clultch, Mustang Steve cable clutch kit, all in hand) and to use the  08 Mustang GT 12.5" brakes (in hand), and a 96 Exploder disc brake axle w/3.73 LS (also in hand).

To use the MS cable clutch setup you will need to hammer or cut/weld a bit of a trough in the cowl air box floor for sector clearance.  That should be pretty easy on the Fairlane as the top of the cowl can be removed.  Since it's already is set up for a SBF, putting your 306/T5 in is a no-brainer.  You will need  a special rear cross member (trans mount) and my have to fab that for the Fairlane if one isn't commercially available, but it ain't rocket science. 

As for the brakes, the kit that MS sells requires the use of stock Mustang drum brake hubs.  Guess what?  The Fairlane drum hubs are the same as the Mustang's.  In fact I just robbed a set from one of my Fairlanes to install the 08 GT brakes on our Mustang.  NO PROBLEM.  I don't know about other kits but I'll bet they will bolt on just like on a Mustang.  Or, you can go with stock type KH discs in front.  They are avalable from SS brake and others.  In fact I expect to have a set on the Swap Meet page before long.

As for addinng the a power brake booster if you don't have one, Steves modification should work just fine on the F-lane pedal assembly.   And, I think his mod and booster is pretty much the only one that will work with the cable clutch.

So in answer to your question....yep, from what little I've  learned while getting ready to do my Fairlane, most of he stuff can be made to work without too much trouble.

Now, your will probably post pix of your car and I'll have to re-convince myself that I'm going to sell the project.  You don't happen to need 3.5 more bodies do you.

Again, welcome to the forum.  As I said, this is the best around.  If you're not doing anything from Sept. 24 -28 or so, join us in Vandalia, Ill for the annual bash.  Load of fun.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/08/2014 7:44 PM  #3

Wow bullet bob! your the man!
you deffinatly eased my pain as i thought this would be alot more involved, yes i have a welder torches i can clearance the cowl section, my goal is to buy all the parts i need for the power disc brake and clutch setup for this, 
so what was the part number for clutch cable and i think i saw a power booster and new peadl assembly for cable clutch  for a mustang on here somewhere and was wondering if that would bolt in my car? 
also so any disc brake conversion for mustangs is ecactly same for the fairlane? 
and yes i will poast pics!

7/09/2014 6:22 AM  #4

Go to the small print just below the logo and click to Mustang Steve's website.  You'll find a ton of info there.  Contact Steve directly for info on making his stuff work on the Fairlane, but I'm pretty sure most of it is gonna be bolt on.  Be sure to find out if the bolt pattern on the F-lane spindles is the same as the early Mustang.  I believe it is but I'm not positive...and that's something you need to know.

Check with Steve and for the defintive answers.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/20/2014 7:58 PM  #5

Bullet Bob, from what i can dig up im told i think were good to go on and start ordering, from what info i have it dosent seam like a ton of hard work,  i should be able to get the power booster clutch peadl assembly disc brake conversion all on here? im ready to order!!!

7/21/2014 6:37 AM  #6

Duvaltom wrote:

Bullet Bob, from what i can dig up im told i think were good to go on and start ordering, from what info i have it dosent seam like a ton of hard work,  i should be able to get the power booster clutch peadl assembly disc brake conversion all on here? im ready to order!!!

That's  great.  Always good to do the homework first but I was pretty sure it would all go together witout much trouble. Keep us informed as the project moves along.  I'll have to build "my" Fairlane vicariously through you, I guess.  Looks like my 3.5 Fairlanes are going to get sold.

Good luck,

BB

7/21/2014 5:11 PM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

Duvaltom wrote:

Looks like my 3.5 Fairlanes are going to get sold.

Good luck,

BB

You KNOW you're gonna hate yourself if you don't build it!!
That's what old guys do.......build stuff so the young guyz can look at it!!!!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.