FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2014 4:23 PM  #1

Need a refresher course in.....

....removing the instrument panel in my '65.  I've got the 6 screws out and I know the speedo cable is keeping it from being removed but it won't pull away from the dash more than a about 1/4".  I am not sure if I would be able to reach up from underneath to undo it then re-attach it.

I am finally getting around to installing my RallyPac.  I've got the coil wire run thru the firewall (mit gummi)  and now I need to run elements of the harness to the dash light wiring and the back of ignition switch.

7/20/2014 5:20 PM  #2

Re: Need a refresher course in.....

It can be done from the bottom.  Not what I would call easy but its doable.  basically just carefully wiggle your hand between the wires as you follow the cable up to the back and unscrew it.  It cmes out easier than it goes in!

7/20/2014 5:31 PM  #3

terry wrote:

It can be done from the bottom.  Not what I would call easy but its doable.  basically just carefully wiggle your hand between the wires as you follow the cable up to the back and unscrew it.  It cmes out easier than it goes in!

Thanks terry, I finally got it.  It is just that it it getting harder to get down on my knees (on the rough concrete) then twist around between the door jamb and the seat ( like a corkscrew) and then twist your arm and your wrist up around all the traffic under there.  But I perservered and got 'er done. 

Now it will be easy to attach the ignition lead, for the RallyPac, to the back of the ignition switch and as a bonus, I was able to reach thru and tighten the nut sleeve on my oh so loose cigarette lighter assy.

The sad part is that I did all this back in '82 without even having to breath hard.  Even then, it was all totally new to me.

7/20/2014 5:33 PM  #4

Boom, I don't remember if the speedo cable is fixed tight at the firewall or if it slips through a grommet.  Can you push the cable a bit from the engine bay side?
Good Luck

7/20/2014 5:50 PM  #5

Boom, 4 bolts and the seat comes out then you can lay comfortably in the floor with your legs in the back seat!  I remember legs in the back seat!!       From when i did this! Get you minds out of the gutter!!

7/20/2014 9:44 PM  #6

terry wrote:

....  I remember legs in the back seat!!....    

In the back of a Mustang?  I don't think so!

7/21/2014 5:13 AM  #7

I dated in a 66 coupe and then a 65 FB. The Mustangs were a lot bigger back then. They apparently srink with age.

7/21/2014 5:15 PM  #8

Steve-G wrote:

I dated in a 66 coupe and then a 65 FB. The Mustangs were a lot bigger back then. They apparently srink with age.

So do 64 Falcon Sprints!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.