FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2014 2:50 PM  #1

New welding cabinet...

I thought I saw one of you guy's post ah pic of somthing similar. I had one of the cheap eastwood/harbor freight welding carts that I modified with bigger wheels to roll in the grass. But it was really flimsy and even fell over once while I was trying to move it around. So I bought this cabinet at Harbor freight for $140.00 with coupon. Added some larger air filled rear tires, and fabbed up some brakets for large air filled swivel fronts. Pulled off the bottom door and slid in my baby plasma cutter. This thing is MUCH sturdier then the cart. And my tools are in ah drawer now vs falling off the shelves of the cart. 

It's hard to type "funny"

7/16/2014 5:18 PM  #2

Re: New welding cabinet...

Really nice. I've got an old Briggs and Stratton 5hp tiller motor you could mount on that thing.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

7/16/2014 6:02 PM  #3

Nice job 'D', nice to have something you can move on an uneven surface.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/16/2014 7:39 PM  #4

Good thinking...  It needs disc brakes.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/16/2014 7:57 PM  #5

Thanks guy's . Yeah I was really surprised at how stable this thing is. Maybe I should mount ah mower deck under it and mow my weeds ah err grass....Or just ah cup holder and call it ah day

7/21/2014 4:38 AM  #6

AWESOME Idea!!! Btw Derek, how do you like that Eastwood MIG? I learned how to weld on a craftsman (made by century) 90A welder which I had used for number of years. I recently started using a Millermatic 135  it welds smooth as butter, a night and day difference. No more hoping despite correct technique that the weld is gonna turn out nice. Now I'm looking at getting a Millermatic 211. 

7/21/2014 7:41 AM  #7

Thanks Jieve, the Eastwood welder works really well. I like it's heat range for it's small size. My only complant is that is burns up ah lot of gas. It's designed to keep spraying gas for about 3 seconds after you release the trigger. I called Eastwood about it, and they basically told me it was a feature to help the beginner welder to help sheild and cool the welds better and could not be abjusted. All though because of that it does do REALLY good sheet metal welds. So much so that I see no need for ah Tig welder in my life.

Last edited by Derek (7/21/2014 7:41 AM)

7/22/2014 1:24 AM  #8

Interesting, my Craftsman had a tweco gun which had the gas valve in the gun and two trigger positions, half trigger operated the gas valve, and full trigger fed the wire. It was nice because you could voluntarily keep the gas flowing over the weld for those really hot welds (or puff out some flaming paint/undercoating near the spot you were welding). That's one thing I miss about the Miller. Having the gas flow another 3 seconds involuntarily seems a bit much though. 

7/22/2014 7:00 AM  #9

Yeah I've found an air hose with ah blow gun in my other hand is much more affective at cooling my welds rather then $75.00 ah tank gas

7/22/2014 1:14 PM  #10

Well........IF you cool the MOLTEN PUDDLE too quickly it will " suck-a-butt-hole" in the weld.(HEY!! EZ censer....that's what my welding instructors called it and I'm just repeating it!) Which is no big deal for regular old sheet metal repair welding butt a no-no for X-ray type welds.
I have TRIED to make them^^^ (see above) just for fun and have not been very sucessful. Really much to do about nothing.
I think TIG welding must be more of a problem than MIG because the TIG machines have an adjustment(its called "weld de-cay".) to prolong the Argon gas coming out...or shorten  the time it sprays. MIG must be pre set  in the machine.
I guess you COULD regulate the amount of gas coverage to try and save gas.
Inside a shop the gas coverage can be way less than trying to weld outside where the wind may effect the gas coverage.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/22/2014 2:02 PM  #11

Your right Sal if you hit it with the air too soon it with booger up the weld puddle, and can cause micro cracking. But like with all welding it's ah balancing act. My theory on welding is that it has little to do with skill and everything to with finesse.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.