FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/07/2014 3:37 PM  #1

Body Filler in Compression

The front lip of my cowl is going to require a good amount of body filler, as the flange got a bit rough from chiseling it off before welding in patch panels and using a cutoff tool to grind the plug welds after re-installation. I have one of those thick one-piece export braces that will be bolted right there, and I'm wondering if the bolt clamping force is going to destroy that surface if filler is used underneath it.  Otherwise I can try to weld up the rough spots and try to create a smoother surface by smoothing them out. Or I could ask the shop if they could use lead there, would this make a difference?  Any ideas or recommendations about what I should do? 

7/07/2014 4:11 PM  #2

Re: Body Filler in Compression

How 'bout some pictures?  We could give a better answer if we could see what it looks like.  Also, if your export brace does not have the wide web where it bolts to the lip, send a picture of it, too.
Enjoy

7/07/2014 5:18 PM  #3

I wouldn't expect body filler to last in that area for too long. Straightening and maybe welding in a new piece would be more work, but it would last forever.

7/07/2014 6:22 PM  #4

It's not that the flange itself isn't straight, it's the flange surface that looks like crap. Cutting and welding a new piece would be a lot easier if the cowl cover was still removed, I think now I've just gotta find a way to smooth that surface out really nice for paint with something that will last...  

7/07/2014 7:18 PM  #5

From what I see body filler will be fine. The export brace has a large surface area and will move very little.Its also an area few people will focus on.

7/07/2014 7:21 PM  #6

How about a 1/8 inch thick plate welded at the brace mount area. Use body filler outboard on each side.
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (7/07/2014 7:22 PM)

7/07/2014 7:32 PM  #7

The export brace will cover that center section.  I would not use filler under a bolted connection.  That won't turn out well.  The part not under the export brace can be filled, but that area is supposed to be filled up with flowable seam sealer, which seems like (no pun intended) the easy and correct thing to do to save yourself alot of work and make it look right to boot.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/07/2014 7:38 PM  #8

From what I see I would use "all-metal"by USC its a body filler with a metal powder compound to straighten the sheetmetal which is alot harder than bondo...can also be drilled and tapped almost no shrinkage at all....jj 

Last edited by jerseyjoe (7/07/2014 7:41 PM)

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

7/08/2014 6:57 PM  #9

Thanks for the responses everyone.  True, that area was originally filled with seam sealer.  Would painted over modern urethane or 2k self-leveling seam sealer hold up under compression there, you think?

Last edited by Jieve (7/08/2014 6:57 PM)

7/08/2014 9:13 PM  #10

Jieve wrote:

Thanks for the responses everyone.  True, that area was originally filled with seam sealer.  Would painted over modern urethane or 2k self-leveling seam sealer hold up under compression there, you think?

No, nothing is going to hold up under the export brace.  The seam sealer will squish out over time at best, but that is how mine and all from the factory were done.  The stuff can't really go anywhere, but who cares if it gets squished when under a part you cannot see through?

7/21/2014 4:54 AM  #11

Ok guys, so after thinking about this for some time, I planned to go ahead and cut out the flange of the cowl cover where the export brace bolts and weld in a patch. The original metal is something like 20 gauge, so I made a patch out of 16 gauge so that like Howard said, the rest could be filled with filler and the heights would match, and I'd have a nice smooth non-filled surface where the export brace would be bolted. The tricky part was going to be trying to drill out the plug welds and grind everything decently after welding. 

While I initially wasn't too fond of just welding in a piece on top of the existing flange, once I layed the patch over the flange, I started thinking that this may actually not be that bad of an idea. I'm thinking about drilling extra holes and plug welding it right on top of that surface. Then the sides and back can be filled by either body filler or seam sealer.  Was thinking there might be somewhat of a slight stiffening effect as well. What do you guys think of this idea?  Anything I'm missing or anything else I should consider?  

7/21/2014 5:38 AM  #12

Actually its a great idea...IMO,no welding,no sealer, no filler necessary....jj 

7/22/2014 8:29 PM  #13

Why bother since it is hidden by the export brace?  Metal to metal is the only way to bolt somethign and have it stay.

7/23/2014 4:46 PM  #14

They don't look to deep why not fill with weld in the low areas and then grind smooth or leave it alone

7/23/2014 6:32 PM  #15

I put a reinforcement plate somewhere in that area sandwitched in between the export brace.  I thought that's what Shelby did.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-export-brace-reinforcement-mounting-plate-1965-1966/p/EBMP1/

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

7/23/2014 10:26 PM  #16

MustangSteve wrote:

Why bother since it is hidden by the export brace?  Metal to metal is the only way to bolt somethign and have it stay.

I really want this restoration to come across like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing and be a high quality job, not look like it was done by an amateur (even though it was, this is the first car I've ever restored like this and the car I'm still learning on, I plan to do many more in the future).  I couldn't live with myself spending upwards of $6k on paint and take off the export brace at some point to work on the engine, and see the surface looking like that. Also, the patch piece I made would be metal to metal, and the rest around the sides can be filled with filler/seam sealer to match the surface height. If the mounting surface weren't raised and I can't use filler on that mounting surface, the sides would be difficult to blend otherwise. Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of Overhaulin', but I want it looking/done right, even if I never see it. 

True74yamaha wrote:

They don't look to deep why not fill with weld in the low areas and then grind smooth or leave it alone

This was my original plan, it just seemed like a lot of work welding those up then grinding everything down flush with the surface. I've done this a number of times trying to fix some of the not so pretty weld jobs I did 14 years ago when I first started this car (and welding). After thinking about it for a long time, it seemed like a patch was the better way to go, this is how I have always seen and read about pros doing it.

KeithP wrote:

I put a reinforcement plate somewhere in that area sandwitched in between the export brace.  I thought that's what Shelby did.

Cool I like that idea, maybe I'll look into adding a piece of angle underneath like the one in the link. 

7/24/2014 6:36 AM  #17

Don't use the Scott Drake part, use your idea...it's alot cleaner and will add dementional stability,"don't be a follower be a leader"....jj

7/24/2014 3:52 PM  #18

I came across some other posts on other forums after googling the scott drake part where people were discussing issues that they had with the export brace and that area of the cowl. There was talk of elongated cowl flange bolt holes and distortion due to the thinness of the metal at that point, when using a heavy duty export brace.  I would still use my idea on the top of the flange and that should stiffen the bearing surface a bit and make it look a lot nicer, but I don't think it's going to prevent flexing TOO significantly under load while driving, at least the way that I'm welding it in. The weak point would still be in the thin part of the flange at the side ends of my piece, at least the way I'm envisioning the brace functioning. To really prevent flexing of that flange, it seems you'd need a perpendicularly welded piece of thicker steel to resist the bending (underneath the flange near the firewall for aesthetic reasons). I'll have to think about it and see what I can come up with and decide if it's worth it. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.