FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2014 11:12 PM  #1

After Market Power Steering

67 fastback, 351W, Factory A/C, Manual Steering.  Want to put power steering on the car.  What recommendations do you all have?  Thanks.

7/23/2014 6:46 AM  #2

Re: After Market Power Steering

mfb007 wrote:

67 fastback, 351W, Factory A/C, Manual Steering.  Want to put power steering on the car.  What recommendations do you all have?  Thanks.

I like the look of Flaming Rivers new set up, but if I had my druthers I would opt for a manual rack driven by the electric assist offering similar to the one MS sells.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/23/2014 12:06 PM  #3

See the SWAP MEET page for my electric system.  Only thing on a Mustang is if you have a slow ratio box, you really will apreciate the steering alot more with a quick ratio box.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/23/2014 2:21 PM  #4

I bought a Borgeson power gear box. It was the most cost effective means for me to have power steering. I haven't driven the car yet, so I can't say how good or bad it may be. I did a lot of research before I bought it and found more good reviews than bad.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/23/2014 3:03 PM  #5

I am removing the Borgsen box verry unhappy never could get the wheel to return to center even with 4 degrees positive caster. I am probably going with a TCP manual rack and electric power steering. I posted earlier this week to see if anybody had installed the electric one yet and got no replies.
1969 Mach 1 351 

IF IT'S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD

7/23/2014 3:34 PM  #6

marsfl1 wrote:

I am removing the Borgsen box verry unhappy never could get the wheel to return to center even with 4 degrees positive caster. I am probably going with a TCP manual rack and electric power steering. I posted earlier this week to see if anybody had installed the electric one yet and got no replies.
1969 Mach 1 351 

Could be the wrong idler arm assembly. It is a commonly overlooked when switching from manual to power steering, they are different for each set up.
 The P/S idler helps returns the center link to neutral.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/23/2014 4:42 PM  #7

How about home brew a rack and pinion

7/23/2014 6:49 PM  #8

On the how to page one of the guys did a write up on adding PS with and Isuzu box

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/24/2014 4:34 AM  #9

My caqr is a factory p/s car so it has the correct idler arm. I have talked to several people at shows most complain of the same problem. The Borgsen steering has a better road feel than stock p/s,but I wish I hadn't treid to save money over a rack and pinion.
1969 Mach 1 351 W

IF IT'S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD

7/24/2014 6:48 AM  #10

Borgeson  Mustang PS boxes SUCK...stiff  turning , no return to center...may take mine out and  send it out to a pro Like Lee Power Steering for a complete exam of what they did wrong and let Lee fix it..very dissatisfied....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

7/25/2014 4:19 AM  #11

My experience with Borg box is good, quick ratio, easy steer, rock solid on road. Works well with me....
Howard 

7/25/2014 6:19 AM  #12

x2

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

7/25/2014 7:55 AM  #13

I have the Borgeson but I've only driven it about five miles before tearing the car down for "everything".  It was a bit stiffer than the stock PS and didn't return any better but it felt great on the road.  At the time the car only had about 2.5 degrees of caster and a manual steer idler arm.  The PS arm is hard to find, in my experience, allthough if you have one with a good ball, NPD has the replacement bushings.

I'll reserve judgement until I get some miles on it.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/25/2014 11:35 AM  #14

mfb007 wrote:

Some time ago, I posted a comparison of the Steeroids rack and pinion and the Borgeson box. Currently using the Borgeson box and suspension modifications noted in earlier post which I might have authored under "lawverdict'.
At this time, using Borgeson box with 2.5 degrees caster and bearing idler. Very slow or non existant return to center, too many turns lock to lock, good turning radius, somewhat underboosted at slow speeds with KRC pump using least restrictive fitting. Regarding the underboosted statement, the car is shod wiith 235/17 tires.

7/25/2014 11:40 AM  #15

jerseyjoe wrote:

Borgeson  Mustang PS boxes SUCK...stiff  turning , no return to center...may take mine out and  send it out to a pro Like Lee Power Steering for a complete exam of what they did wrong and let Lee fix it..very dissatisfied....jj

I worked with Tom about 6 years ago on a Ford truck project. He is very knowledgeable about power steering and has a well equipped shop. He and I discussed Mustang power steering issues, but I did not follow up on it.

7/25/2014 12:11 PM  #16

boss347convertible wrote:

jerseyjoe wrote:

I worked with Tom about 6 years ago on a Ford truck project. He is very knowledgeable about power steering and has a well equipped shop. He and I discussed Mustang power steering issues, but I did not follow up on it.

I had Lee PS build a Saganaw box for my 41 Ford pickup show truck some years back, he changed the ratio to a track style 12 to 1...Lately we spoke about him  possibly coming out with a Mustang p.s box...hmmm...PS,When Tom built the box he said if I sent him the paint (Tropical Turquoise) he would paint the box prior to assembly and use all new fasteners,I sent him the paint.....jj 

Last edited by jerseyjoe (7/25/2014 12:12 PM)

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.