FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2014 9:31 PM  #1

Single wire alternator and larger fuel tank

I currently own a 1964 Falcon (originally had a 260, 3 spd.) into which is being installed a completely rebuilt 1965 Ford 289. The car has Granada front disc brakes. A 1964 vintage (completly rebuilt) narrow flange 4 spd. toploader with Mustang Steve's cable operated clutch assembly (using a Lakewood bellhousing) is also in the car. I have added a new 1969 Mustang 20 gallon fuel tank to replace the woefully inadequate original 14 gallon unit (It fit rght in).
The tank came with the sending unit installed. Will the original fuel gauge work properly with the new larger tank? I put 3 gallons of gas in the tank yesterday, and while it registered on the guage, it seemed low. The car in not roadworthy yet, so I have not had the opportunity to put a larger amount of fuel in the tank. 
Also, can one of you Ford fans provide wiring guidance for using a single-wire alternator that is being installed? The distributor is an HEI type with coil-in-cap.
PS I have owned a couple Mustangs in the past, so please be patient with me.

7/26/2014 9:57 AM  #2

Re: Single wire alternator and larger fuel tank

Not sure about the fuel gauge but maybe this will help with the alternator. Have any questions about this diagram just ask. You need a 3G with mounting holes 180 deg apart. There is a large case and a small case. The small case has the same distance seperating the mount holes as the original. The large case you have to fix the bracket as shown in the pic. I think mine is a small case from a 93 Mustang V8.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/26/2014 10:11 AM  #3

Prolly need to get it on the road and fill the tank to see how well it works. It SHOULD continue to work if it did with the smaller tank.
Keep in mind...since it is larger...the needle will operate more slowly. I mean.....more available fuel will be used at a slower rate than a smaller available amount. (ex.) Takes longer to drink a 32 oz. Colt 45 Malt liquor than than a short 12oz Bud Light at the same rate of swallowability.....cool word,huh?!)
Besides....when it gets near empty...you know you have about 3 gallons left in the tank,which means....you have about 25/30 miles to go before running out.(depends on how big your cam/carb and foot is)
I usually have to stop and....peeeeeeeeeee before I run out a large tank of gas so I would have left the 14 gal. unit in.
6sal6
Welcome to the forum!! 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/26/2014 11:01 AM  #4

The fuel sending unit should be for the year model of tank. Greater tank capacity will have a greater travel on the float arm. Resistance will be off if, for example, you are trying to use a sending unit for a 16 gallon tank in a '69 20 gallon or, a '70 22 gallon tank.

1 wire alternators are attractive because of their simplicity. --You only have to connect one wire.

However, the 3 wire hook up on a 3G alternator only has two more wires to deal with but, has several more advantages that the 1 wire setup isn't capable of providing.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

7/26/2014 2:51 PM  #5

I used a GM-type single wire alternator in mine.  All I did was unplug the harness from the voltage regulator, attach the black/yellow wire that was on the output of the old alternator to the terminal on the back of the new alternator and attach the ground wire that was also on the back of the old alternator to a new ground point on the new alternator. 

If you use the existing harness to the extent possible (including the wires that used to attach to the old alternator) you'll keep most of the other related functions.  For example, my ammeter still functions - it would not have after the change had I not used the stock wiring to the back of the alternator.

Last edited by John Ha (7/26/2014 2:52 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.