FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2014 2:02 PM  #1

Brake Line to Header Clearance

Started my build back in 1999. Built the engine in 2002 and bought the Hedman Hedders. Then life got in the way. Continued the build about 3 years ago. A year or more ago bought  an 01 Mustang V6 master cylinder from MS. Even though the info on this site says the ports are on the passenger side I didn't read that. I didn't think about how close the headers and brake lines would be until I installed the lines and before the motor was in place. I have 1" clearance on the closest line and 3/4" to the booster. My small brain thinks that isn't enough clearance.

My first thought was to make a heat shield and add some thermal heat sleeves for the brake lines. Then I thought about re routing the lines forward but didn't want them to look like crap. Then I thought about all the knowledge on this site. Do they make a 90° fitting for the m/c port to get the line straight down?

So if you guys could share your vast experience and send me in the right direction I would be grateful. I really don't want to spend more cash and change components. If doing away with the Midland booster and going to manual brakes would give the needed clearance I would do it.

Thanks guys,

Bob

Last edited by rpm (7/26/2014 2:03 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/26/2014 9:27 PM  #2

Re: Brake Line to Header Clearance

If you will use a tight radius forming tool (tube bender) you can get alot more room as the tubes come out of the mc.  That should give you plenty of clearance. Your tubes will look more professional if you use a tight radius bender rather than hanf-formed large, uneven radius bends.  A stainless shield would not hurt. When you redo the brake lines, install some of that spring-looking tubing wrap on the brake lines (fedhill.com) to act as a heat sink. It will act like radiator fins to pull heat away from the tube.

I would not be too concerned about the booster.   I ran a larger diameter booster with the same headers for many years with mo problems.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/26/2014 9:57 PM  #3

I used a cheap tubing bender from Harbor Freight to get these bends.  I have heddman shorties and they clear easily

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-inch-to-1-4-quarter-inch-tube-bender-94571.html

7/26/2014 11:47 PM  #4

I suppose I waisted money on the tubing bender if the bends look hand formed. The smallest radius bender I could find was 1". I'll try to get some tighter bends in a path that provides more clearance. Thanks guys.

Bob

7/27/2014 6:55 AM  #5

Various sized sockets make good forms for radii.Flare the tube, install the fitting then put the socket in a vice withe fitting right up against it and wrap the tubing around to the desired amount of bend.
 A loose piece of wood in the vice up against the fitting will hold it in place whie you bend it.

Last edited by Rudi (7/27/2014 6:59 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/27/2014 8:44 AM  #6

Rudi's method also works.  It is better for larger socket sizes, but the radius you need is something along the size of a 5/8" socket, and it also works for that if you are careful.  Practice with some scrap tubing.  Try to stretch the tubing as you bend it around the socket.

I hate the color but that cuneiform green tubing is easiest to bend.  It can be painted.  I have used that chrome paint on it with pretty good results.  It comes out looking silver, but better silver than silver paint comes out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/27/2014 12:56 PM  #7

Thanks again guys. I'll give it the 'ol college try. Hey, what's the worst thing can happen if the brake fluid boils and I lose the brakes???

Bob

7/27/2014 5:52 PM  #8

I bent mine around a piece of 1" pipe.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.