FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2013 8:46 PM  #1

Blank Canvas - new shop

Tomorrow, my builder should be finishing out on the trim, cleaned up, and ready for his last check.  Now the fun begins on making this place my man cave.  

Looking for suggestions, experiences, recommendations, things to do, not do, do first, wait and do last, etc...  

5/08/2013 8:50 PM  #2

Re: Blank Canvas - new shop

Jealous!

5/08/2013 8:59 PM  #3

james,

1. if you've ever considered coating the floor, nows the perfect time before any of your vehicles decide to mark their territory on that new concrete.

2. what's your plan for wiring the place?  I did mine before I started "filling it" with all my stuff.....much easier.
2a,  make sure you have plenty of outlets and overhead lights.  For my shop, I split the lights; one switch for the left side, one switch for the right side.  My projects are on the ride side so, I don't have to have every light blazing when i'm working on them.

3. If your builder didn't do it,........install gutter screens.....two weeks ago, i dug out two five gallon buckets of "tree droppings" in my gutters.....learn from my mistake.

4. build your work bench.........before the "stuff" migrates inside.

That should keep you busy for awhile........btw, the shop looks sweet!!!

Last edited by josh-kebob (5/08/2013 9:03 PM)

5/08/2013 9:02 PM  #4

SWEET!!!  Install the AC and heat, then the lift.  Do the floor coating before you drive anything in there.  Have I blown the budget yet?  Oh, yeah... Gotta have a good garage-sale stereo!  Install your power distribution system before you move in as well, or it will be twice as hard to run conduit later.

I am really enjoying my workbench that I built from the three roll-away tool cabinets.  You will want a two-stage commpressor if you don't already have one.

Main thing I have learned from several garages I have owned:  If you put shelves in there, you are going to store crap that you will never need again.  If you have cabinets, you are going to store crap that you will never need again.  Both take up floor space. This time, I am eliminating nearly all of that.  Looks like you might have room to build a mezzanine!

Did you have a restroom built into yours?  That is the one thing I really wish I had.  A good sink, even if it is hooked up to a garden hose and drains into the yard is a must.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/08/2013 9:07 PM  #5

MustangSteve wrote:

Did you have a restroom built into yours?  That is the one thing I really wish I had.  A good sink, even if it is hooked up to a garden hose and drains into the yard is a must.

The concrete was plumbed for a Loo, but I don't have a septic tank out there to tie it too.  That and the running water will have to come later.

I thought I read you're supposed to let the concrete cure for 60 days before putting down the epoxy coating.  Yes? No?

Last edited by JamesW (5/08/2013 9:08 PM)

5/08/2013 9:14 PM  #6

I like the way you kept the pull up doors against the roof. I hope you have at least 220 volt service, that helps a lot. To my mind the first addition should be a big compressor, at least 50 gallons, 80 is better. 12 cfm at 90 psig is a good compressor spec. A welder rated 220 outlet is useful. A big sink for general cleanup gets a lot of use in my shop. With current prices many of the members of the forum will recommend a lift. I have a four post and use the heck out of it, but a good arguement can be made for a two post. As for amenities: a stereo, a fridge, some sort of relaxation furniture, maybe a telephone. In a former shop I had a cable TV hookup which has its pluses and minuses.

5/08/2013 11:23 PM  #7

www.garagejournal.com  My second favorite site on the web...

5/09/2013 2:44 AM  #8

I'm jealous too!

Thinking about this stuff that doesn't already been mentioned:

- Internet connected computer/tablet with a pair of good speakers.

- A fridge and cabinets instead of shelves as everything just gets dusty on shelves anyway. 

- A whiteboard for "to do" lists and other notes.

- Digital camera to take pics with and share online. 

- If you do a lot of welding, grinding, sanding, sand blasting or spraying it might be a good idea to consider keeping those activities in a certain area of the shop and make a tarp curtain or even a separate room for it to keep the dirt and dust away from where it shouldn't be. Or in the Texas climate it can of course be done outdoors most of the year.

5/09/2013 6:33 AM  #9

I'll second the the Garage journal sight, A Lot of great ideas.

5/09/2013 7:26 AM  #10

JW that's a very nice looking garage, I'm guessing 24X36.  Love the way the doors follow the slope of the ceiling.  I think everything has already been said by the others. Lighting, electrical,and plumbing for the air compressor so you have a drop or two on every wall.  I would even consider a small room for the compressor on the back side of the building, those things are loud.  Mike

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

5/09/2013 9:39 AM  #11

I third the Garagejournal.com , one of my favorite sites.

5/09/2013 11:43 AM  #12

JamesW I have a large scaffold on wheels if you need to borrow it. I live near Royse City which is close to you. We have talked via L-3 email before.
Scaffold is two levels 8 foot or 4 foot, so up to 12 foot height. I used it extensively when building my shop.

I still want to come out to your house and see your fastback. Wife and I are looking at what we want for an interior. Our neighbor owns RT66 custom Hot Rod interior shop.

Ed

5/09/2013 2:09 PM  #13

The bigest concern in my shop is light even though I have about a zillion 4 foot fluoresant doubles.
Your ceiling looks high enough for  some high pressure sodium units which I have found to be as good as sunlight.
 The older I get the more light I need.
 Oh yeah, I almost forgot,  bars on the windows and a steel entry door.

Last edited by Rudi (5/09/2013 2:11 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/09/2013 5:02 PM  #14

Yeah!!
Plenty of light. Maybe even a roll around one for working under the hood at night.
Stereo/radio with big speaker/s
Mop sink/urinal
parts washer
Lean to in the back for lawnmower/bikes/etc. Incorperate with air compressor.
Put tool chest/tablesaw/ big fan other big stuff on rollers.
Some of those roll-around-casters for moving car from side to side.
Plenty of hooks on the wall for hanging parts, folding saw horses,C-clamps, drop cords,hoses etc. and stuff instead of laying on floor.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/09/2013 5:13 PM  #15

I think you're going to need to put a shuffle alley / pinball machine in the corner there.
For when you need to step away from the car and figure out a problem!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.