FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2014 10:15 AM  #1

Speedometer Cable

I just finished installing my new AutoMeter Gages and would like to install the speedometer cable while the dash is off. The new Speedometer requires a 5/8" x 18" thread on one end of the cable.
I pulled my orginal cable that came out of the car which was attached to a 3 speed manual transmission/6 cylinder. I can't use this cable but the gear is in great condition.
I am running a 4 speed toploader/302 V8 now.
Can I use the 19 tooth gear that the 3 speed used? If not what gear should I buy?
I am looking at a Loker Universal Speedometer Kit. A little pricey though but i like the quality of thier products. Any other recommendations out there.
Thanks

8/10/2014 10:49 AM  #2

Re: Speedometer Cable

You need to ID the tire size (need the determine the tire circumfirence), rear end ratio and the number of teeth on the drive gear in the 4-speed to determine the gear to use.
Driven Gear Formula ... Drive Gear Teeth X Axle ratio X Tire Revs per mile divided by 1000. (from the Mustang's Unlimiting catolog)
One mile = 5280 feet.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/10/2014 2:54 PM  #3

Thanks BobE
Drive Gear Teeth = 7
Rear End Ratio = 3.55
Tire Height = 25"
SpeedRevs/Mile = 1000/60
------------------------------------------
Speedo Gear Teeth = 20
Can't use the one I have.

8/11/2014 10:23 AM  #4

The four speed requires a much longer cable and a reverese helix than any other Ford transmission.  That is because the engagement on the transmission is on the passenger side (opposite the three speeds and automatics and T5s)  It will be interesting to see how you install the cable from the top first.

It is not that hard on a 69-70 to reach up there and install the cable to the speedo, even with full dash in place.

You can also use a four speed cable from a 65-66 Mustang.  It has the right length and upper threaded connection you need.

One thing I have learned the hard way about the new reproduction speedometer cables, like Scott Drake...  The outer vinyl coating is so thin and fragile you really need to be careful about knicking it on some sharp edge, or burn it with getting too close to the exhaust.  If you nick it, you will soon have a puddle of tranny grease or fluid right under the lowest hanging part of the cable.  Somehow the spinning cable transfers the fluid up higher than one would think.  I have a nick in the new one on my fastback.  To fix it, I took a 4" long piece of 3/8" rubber fuel line and cut a slit down one side to open it up where it would fit over the cable.  Clean everything squeaky clean, fill the hose with ultra black rtv and slip the hose over the hole in the cable so the closed side of the hose covers the leak.  Then apply a couple of carb hose clamps to hold it in place.  I have done a few cables like that and they never re-leaked.  And once the leak goes away, I quit worrying about what it looks like under there.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.