FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2014 1:13 PM  #1

Ron68, hows that trans coming?

Just checking.  Those of us with with the guts to take on an auto box build need to inspire others.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (7/25/2014 1:15 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/26/2014 12:56 AM  #2

Re: Ron68, hows that trans coming?

So far, so good. Your trans mount works great on an engine stand, and the homemade press works great also. Got the clutch pistons out, resealed and reinstalled with it. Had to replace the reverse drum and shell due to the lugs on the drum being all chewed up and the cutouts in the shell were elongated. The new drum required an extra trip to the Ford dealer for a larger thickness retainer ring to meet the specs.

The other two clutch packs went together with the new steels and discs and checked okay. The intermediate clutch steels had some hot spots and were worn the most. The 1-2 shift accumulator lower spring had broken in four pieces and damaged the piston, and the cap and gouged the bore a bit. (common problem) Reworked it with a brake cylinder  hone, some Scotchbrite, 600 grit then 1200 grit to finish it. Looks good now and the new piston and cap seal well.

Got a rebuild kit - got it home - had to take it back, was wrong trans model. Ordered new bearings, thrust washers and two kits, one to mod the overdrive servo piston and one to mod the valve body. Should receive it by Monday or so and then can complete the buildup. Gee, there's a lot of parts in that thing.... :-)  - more than in the old C4 I did 14 years ago, but got some good ATSG manuals and another one with lots of nice color pictures to help with the process.

I will have to take the extension housing and oil pump housing in to work to get the bushings replace - I have better tooling there. The pump housing bushing requires it to be installed far enough forward to stake it in two locations to keep it from migrating aft and contacting the pump rotors. I could only get it flush here at home. Like I said - so far so good.

Will still need to order the controller, wire harness and TPS for an Edelbrock carb. I did get an aft crossmember off eBay for a good price. Haven't made up my mind it I am going to go with the AOD tailshaft housing and use my old yoke, or go with the 4R70W housing (I have both) and get the T-5 yoke. Gotta check on costs on that. Thats it so far.

Last edited by Ron68 (7/26/2014 12:57 AM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/26/2014 6:17 AM  #3

Dang Ron68, my hats off to ya.  Just reading all that you've done was a little intimidating.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

7/26/2014 9:44 AM  #4

MAW wrote:

Dang Ron68, my hats off to ya.  Just reading all that you've done was a little intimidating.

Sounds pretty awful, don't it Mike.  Actually, if you have a few tools, a good book or two, and a big CLEAN work bench it really isn't too bad.  Just got to take your time and keep the parts organized.  There  are a lot of parts and they are very complex machines but they aren't too bad to rebuild.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/11/2014 11:29 PM  #5

Further update: After much dragging of feet due to "other priorities" I have almost gotten it all back together.  Replaced almost all the bearings (can't do the one in the planetary as it seems to be built around it, but it feels really smooth). Installed the updated anti clunk spring after many calls to some transmission places who should be able to tell me if the updated (2004) spring can be used in a '98 gearbox or not. Many didn't know, but a couple said no problem, so I took their word and put it in. Now that it's in, can't see what all the fuss was about. Fits and functions fine.

Got the intermediate clutch built up, but had to make an extra trip to the transmission parts house for an oversized steel disc to meet the 1.634 to 1.636 measurement requirement. The total stack up measured right on for reusing the nominal sized plastic thrust washer.

Got the mod kits and got the OD servo piston modified, new style accumulator pistons and updated springs and am finishing up the valve body mods - just waiting on new solenoids to appear that I got on Ebay, and I can install the valve body. Got a shift selector shaft out of a 2002 Mustang, so I now have the correct style shift lever, also got the MLPS switch with it too, and the shifter assy, with the cable. It has the overdrive cutoff button on the shifter, so I don't have to install it separately. I just have to modify it to fit the '68.
Still need to get the US Shift Quick 1 controller, TPS for the Edelbrock carb, and the wire harness ($725 for all that!!) and the torque converter.

Got a little extra money last Wednesday with a bunch of overtime on a trip I made to Puerto Vallarta to replace an EEC (Electronic Engine Control) on a 737. Ended up changing both engine EEC's as the software versions weren't compatible. Man, was it HOT down there!! Road trips to other countries are a real goat rope. Customs, logistics, no parts availability, etc, etc. Still, we got it done and flew it home to Seattle. Now I feel better about getting the controller and stuff.

Got to talk to an expert about what torque converter to get - just going to do normal street driving with maybe an occasional run on the strip just to see what she'll do. I currently have a 2400 rpm stall converter on the C4, and it has worked just fine.

In a month or so, I will be putting the '68 out of commission to do the mod. I am really hoping to be able to use the Heddman long tube headers I have, but will have to see really how much room I will have with the 4R70W. I have read that the '68 has more room in the tunnel area than the 65-66 cars, so I hope that translates to more room between the header pipes. Don't really want to spring for a new set of shorty headers.... Well, that's it so far. We'll see in a couple of months if I put the box together right or not....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.