FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2014 3:28 PM  #1

stock transverse muffler exhaust

Hello all, Robby 13 here. New project! Going to install the stock factory transverse system on both cars- 68 289 coupe, and 67 390 gt. I had been toying with the idea for a while now, I just got home from a large car show at Belmont Racetrack in N.Y.- long island. I saw and heard 2 cars, a 67 gt 500, and a 68 289. I forgot how nice n mellow they sounded. The question is on the transverse muffler, which way is the seam situated, bottom or top, and what probably dictates that is how it is situated and configured inside the muffler. Any ideas? They have  full kits available, from the H pipe all the way back , and it comes in 2 diameters, 2" and 2.25". Any ideas, thoughts etc? It is true , the older you get, the quieter you want. When I first bought the cat in 74, I ran Hooker headers, and hush thrush connected directly to the headers - and that's it! Nothing from the muffler back! Can you imagine? Well, I was in my 20's, now I'm 60- nuff said.

Last edited by rtmjr13@optonline.net (8/10/2014 3:56 PM)

8/10/2014 6:08 PM  #2

Re: stock transverse muffler exhaust

rtmjr13@optonline.net wrote:

Hello all, Robby 13 here. New project! Going to install the stock factory transverse system on both cars- 68 289 coupe, and 67 390 gt. I had been toying with the idea for a while now, I just got home from a large car show at Belmont Racetrack in N.Y.- long island. I saw and heard 2 cars, a 67 gt 500, and a 68 289. I forgot how nice n mellow they sounded. The question is on the transverse muffler, which way is the seam situated, bottom or top, and what probably dictates that is how it is situated and configured inside the muffler. Any ideas? They have full kits available, from the H pipe all the way back , and it comes in 2 diameters, 2" and 2.25". Any ideas, thoughts etc? It is true , the older you get, the quieter you want. When I first bought the cat in 74, I ran Hooker headers, and hush thrush connected directly to the headers - and that's it! Nothing from the muffler back! Can you imagine? Well, I was in my 20's, now I'm 60- nuff said.

Hmmmm? I am in my 60's and just went the other way.  I yanked out my soul-less single pipe transverse muffler and installed duals.  As far as I am concerned, that 289, even with a 2bbl, loves dual 2 1/4 pipes.

8/10/2014 7:52 PM  #3

Oh no, it will stay dual, just tired of 40 plus years of not quiet. Burned through 2 sets of hookers back in the day. Original question was if anyone knew what the internal configuration of the transverse muffler was. Was it straight through, then connected by separate chambers etc. Do the new kits have the weep hole like originals? They were on the bottom for sure. Not too many people know.

8/11/2014 1:31 PM  #4

R-13, if you are going back in with a factory stock or factory type exhaust system, it will only fit one way.  Assuming you are using the stock hangers. 
Enjoy

8/12/2014 6:02 PM  #5

Everything fits only one way up to the transverse muffler. You can flip it by accident, or just not knowing. I keep hearing about tge seem being down because the internals are set up differently. One set is chambered as one, the other set are independent. The top pipes go to the exhaust tips. The weep hole is the key if the repros have it. Should be interesting.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.